Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am critical of the VROD. I got 25 miles down the road on a rented one and brought it back, exchanging it for a Fat Boy. Mind you, the engine was very nice, not as nice as a Honda VFR, but very nice all the same, but the chassis is a torture rack, in my humble opinion. I felt every little pebble at 65 mph on the highway, and expansion joints, "Oh nooo! Here comes another one!" At slower speeds it was much nicer. And the brother at the toll booth, grinning from ear to ear as he gazed upon the VROD, said, "That's bad. That's bad." My lower back did not like it at all on the highway. A slow cruise around town? Maybe. It is a nice looker. I've seen guys cruisin the boulevard on em with chicks on the back which some will definitely dig. But I'll take an FXD Sport anyday. Low rev torque is king. - Fuj

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'd ride one just for curiosity but I would never buy one. IMHO the motor is the heart and soul of a bike. The motor on this bike is not even made by the same company that put their name on the bike. For a motorcycle, how much more lame can you get? I will probably get flamed for that, but thats ok.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Okay, I'll flame. What about Aprilia? KTM? Are they lame too?

Japanese manufacturers hire Italians to style their bikes quite frequently. Are they lame too?

Everyone plays that game, max. ;-)

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
??? Do you even know what you're talking about? Unless I'm completely misinformed, the engine and the rest of the Vrod are all built by the same compnay.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
The Harley-haters here like to claim the engine is made by Porsche. H-D hired Porsche during the development of the motor for some consulting work.

The engine is largely based on the motor from the VR1000 that raced in the Superbike series. I don't recall Porsche being involved in the development of that particular motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just walked in from a V-ROD test ride. The dealer informed me there was some "room" on the price; they are trying to get rid of them. Loved the engine, hated the ergos. I suspect I couldn't ride it for much more than an hour. The forward position for my legs is just ridiculous. Hated the loud noise from the engine. I felt like I would blow off the thing; wind management is non-existent. Rode home on my BMW CLC in splendid comfort not missing a damn thing about the V-ROD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hate the maintenance costs too…

You ought to see the bills people are getting for regular maintenance costs. It makes a Duc look positively economical. As in close to $800 and lot of that is labor because of how poorly it is set up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ugly bike. Useless bike. In stock form, the V-Rod has something if you're into the stripped and polished look, but this one's just ridiculous. The visual aid appears exceptionally adequate as a kickstand.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If all Porche did is provide a little guidance that's one thing but that's not the way it came across to me on the Discovery (Harley Advertising Channel). After watching the Discovery channel you would think that creating a few curves in a pipe would be difficult for NASA and only Harley could pull something like that chassis off. Paleeze...

Harley is great at using supply and demand tatics to keep their prices artificialy high and people get suckered right in due to peer pressure. It's my choice so yeah I think having someone make your motor for your bike when it's a cruiser is lame, real lame.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Well you've had no problem pulling off narrow-minded idiot tactics.

There's no such thing as supply and demand "tactics" brainiac. And it is duly noted how you qualified your statement, "having someone make your motor WHEN IT'S A CRUISER," conviently excludes sportbike manufacturers (Aprilia, et al) who get motors from other sources.

Go back to school.

·
Registered
323 Posts
"There's no such thing as supply and demand "tactics" brainiac" Ah! So maybe you can explain why Harley owners tell me they are on a waiting list for months? Are they lying? Oh maybe Harley just does not want to sell more bikes? Are they just too stupid to make more? Marketing stupid Harley is not!

Answer this. Why would someone pay close to full new price on a bike that is over a year old and w/o any warranty. They don't want to wait so they overpay for a used one, another sign of...dumb

See that keeps resale artificialy high. Dis ain't rocket science here bud, something tells me you never even went to school.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I'll type slowly so you can understand me ok.

I bought a new Low Rider in 96. That year H-D made 110,000 motorcycles. This year H-D will make 290,000 motorcycles. That's almost triple math whiz.

Considering I haven't financed any of my motorcycle purchases may prove that I've had far more schooling than you.

Now go crawl back under that rock from whence you came.

·
Registered
323 Posts
All U have spewed is that Harley makes a lot more now than back in 96, and that's great.

You did not answer:

Why would someone pay close to full new price on a bike that is over a year old and w/o any warranty. They don't want to wait so they overpay for a used one, another sign of...dumb

See that keeps resale artificialy high. Why would someone have to wait months for their very own coveted Harley.

Now let me type slow for you. It's...called...supply... and...demand.

Your bragging about your 96 slow ride being paid for makes me laugh!

My bikes, were paid for in full the day I rode them home. I can afford a Harley...paid for with cash. Whoopie!!! But when I hand over my money I expect something of real value in return, not a name, real product. Of course I bought almost new, low miles, all around better bikes than any slow ride you will ever own, and got them for a steal. Your too busy worring about your image while I am just having fun. Just love it when 1 of those loud Harleys passes me and revs their pipes and then realizes they just challenged the max. The look on their face. Now that's priceless.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
No, you claimed H-D was using supply and demand "tactict." I pointed out the factory is churning out every bike they can possibly make at the moment. Demand is outstripping supply. You don't the the Big 4 would love to have that problem?

I'm glad you like your Max. It's a great bike for sure. Why are you so pissed that other people are enjoying life in a different way?

Oh and that Low Rider? I bought it for $13,300, rode it for 5 years/35,000 miles, sold it for $12,500. Tell me how I stupidly got ripped off again?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts