Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Chicago Alderman Proposes Manditory Helmet Law

Hm...several statistics about X many people dying from motorcycle accidents and Y many dying without helmets. These are useless if you don't say Z would have lived with a helmet on. I mean....if all of them had their lower bodies ripped off...Would we require that everyone wear full leathers around town? It's true, I don't really want my taxes going to stupid people, but I don't really want to pay cops to patrol helmetless rollerbladers either.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh great.....

....another helmet thread. Looks like longride is going to have to buy one of those chrome nazi beanies.

By the way, anything you might do that might possibly cause me to have to pay taxes that might possibly go to pay for your injuries is grounds for govt regulation, right? Get ready to stay in bed all day. No wait, then you might get bedsores.

The govt should ban "Baywatch"or anything starring Catherine Zeta Jones. I don't want to possibly have to cover the costs of treating people's hairy palms.

I know the solution. The govt should provide me with Catherine Zeta Jones. That way I'll be willing to stay in bed all day. If Catherine is not available then Kelly Brook or Elisha Cuthbert will do in a pinch. (ba da boom)

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
A good thing, but not the solution to Chicago problem

"Police policy only allows officers to chase bikers for enforceable felonies -- and speeding bikers rarely fall into that category, Lemon reported. Police said they can only watch as speeding bikers do wheelies right out in the open and then race down the highway -- sometimes not even wearing helmets.

"It's almost a badge of honor them to say 'I ran from the police last night and they didn't catch me,'" Byrd said.

Some bikers have learned a painful lesson, Lemon reported. Oliver Kwan broke his foot after doing a wheelie down Division Street."

See for more

In WA state you can be fined and lose your license, bike, and be put in jail for going over 20 m.p.h. over the speed limit. Illinois should do the same instead of handcuffing the cops.

I love my new XBC helmet. Sorry it doesn't come in Extra Small, Sean. :)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if we passed a law requiring that all politicians, proposing government mandated coddling of ordinary citizens, to have one of those sweaty thongs worn by sumo wrestlers shoved down their throats. VWW

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: P.S. (The Great Motorcycle Prophet does it again)

Gee, back in the 70's, when there weren't so many aholes around, wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle (or stopping for the police) was optional.

Then the MSBs (morally superior beings) like yourself had to ruin everything. If I don't want to strap on a pot just to run down to the liquor store for some Chesterfields, it's my business, not yours.

Doing a helmet less 100 mph wheelie is another thing entirely. But you knew that, didn't you?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
First point is, that it's illegal for any home rule community to enact such a law. Daley is blowing smoke out his ass on this one. It would be virtually impossible to know from city to city what the vehicle regulations for that city would be, making a real mess for anyone riding outside his own city. Daley is proposing 200 to 400 buck fines for not wearing a helmet. They are also proposing fining drug offenders big bucks instead of jailing. They say the city will make 4 to 5 mil on that one. It's all about the money folks. Weirdest part is, the last 12 deaths were from speeders that wore their helmets, and died, while smashing into the nearest non-moving object they could find. Two guys were cut in half nearly in the same spot on consecutive days, and both had helmets. Helmets ain't the answer here folks. Unless Daley can find a way to legislate common sense, and that would be impossible because the law would have to begin with him, all the helmet laws in the world wouldn't have saved the bunch that got his panties in a knot. And by the way Seruzawa, I WILL NOT get a chromed Nazi helmet. I am getting the one the Kaiser wore with the big spike on the top, and only the spike will be tastefully chromed. I figure is someone is going to take me out, lowering my head may even the odds a bit!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am sick to death of people that think they are better able to run our lives then we are. I am sick to death of the big government nanny state attitudes which oddly enough or mostly on the hypocritical right. I never ride without my helmet or leather etc. But that is my choice and if others choose differently then so be it. I know all about the public cost BS. If one accepts that, then we have to outlaw smoking, rock climbing, sky diving and everything else the self appointed guardians of our safety deem to dangerous for us BS!! The essence of a free society is that people do stuff others think is bad. So long as you don’t harm me then go to hell in you own way and let me go to hell in my way!! I ride a motorcycle. It is dangerous at least compared to a hummer and anyone that doesn’t like it can go to hell, damn it! LIBERTY ROCKS!!!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Excuse me, but ride through Chicago without a helmet? Gee, when I went through there last year, EVERY motorcyclist I saw had a helmet on (yeah, even THEM)! It only took me a few short moments of riding through it to see why.....and I thought Atlanta drivers were nuts....

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'll give you an even more ridiculous law a Chicago State Representative is trying to pass. I read this in an article in a Chicago paper called the Red Eye.

To put in perspective how big of an issue this motorcycle thing is becoming here this rag- known for it's brief articles- dedicated two pages to it. Well, almost two pages. One-half of each page is a photo. One page has a pic of Ice Cube from Biker Boyz. And Ice Cube makes sense because that is how motorcyclists look and dress. You know, wearing bandanas and with a scowl on our face daring some punk b#$ch cager to look at us the wrong way. CUZ WE'LL DO A WHEELIE ON THIER FACE AND MAKE OUT WITH THEIR GIRLFRIEND IF THEY DO!!! You know, that kind of scowl. And the other page has a pic of a mangled motorcycle underneath a car (because that is what happens to these fools who ride motorcycles without helmets, if that rider all mangled up under the car only had a helmet on he'd be sipping lattez at Star Buckz laughing about it with his biker boyz buddiez right now)

Anyway, I digress. State Rep. John Fritchey proposes a law that he says will "reward motorcyclists who wear a helmet". He proposed a law that would double fines against motorcyclists without helmets who are stopped for moving violations. Hmmm...rewards motorcyclists wearing helmets does it. Lets see, I choose to wear a helmet when I ride (my brain vs. asphalt, concrete, or high school algebra loses everytime) so I'm looking for my reward. Does my insurance go down? No. Do I get a safe drivers deduction on my taxes? Well, not exactly. Do I get a discount on my motorcycle registration costs? Hmm, didn't notice that in the proposal. Ou ou ou, I know, free couponz for Botox shots to get the wrinkle out of my forehead from my motorcycle scowl? Ehhh, no Alice, no coupons.

So, I guess by reward those who wear he meant penalize those who don't. Unintentional mistake I'm sure. I just thank God Mr. Fritchey can identify the problem and propose a law better than the 100 already existing laws to remedy it. But whatever, me an' my boyz won't be wearing helmets law or no law. Cuz, if I put on a helmet I won't do 100 mph wheeliez and weave in and out of traffic anymore. See cuz helmets make you drive safe and act responsible. Hope they don’t start enforcing the existing laws though becauze then I might lose my license and my motorcycle or go to jail.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Our brilliant and ever pragmatic Mayor Daley will take a different approach if he doesn't get his helmet law. Around 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. in the morning he will have bulldozers tear up all of the city and state roads. Or, he will propose legislation to prosecute the dealerships that sold the motorcycles to the recently departed.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I didn't know that the Chicago Political Machine(tm) is out of operation and the Aldermen are republicans now!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Right, Western Ave. Should be called Squid Ave.

A lot of times that helmet on the helmet lock is a nice Arai or Shoei too. Full graphics of course. Must have most expensive helmet to go with bike with most horse power. To bad neither will get used.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
According to oldtim you only have to worry about the hypocritical right. Those hate crimes (thought control) laws the libs love so much aren't the least bit oppressive. They believe in freedom... as long as you agree with their arbitrary and contradictory beliefs. Otherwise you deserve punishment because you have incorrect beliefs. I mean, those correct beliefs are self-evident, right?

Can you explain to me why burning a cross in someone's lawn (admittedly a really vicious act) deserves a worse sentence than manslaughter? Or why citizen X should go to jail for an extra 10 years because he "hated" the murder victim rather than killed him for no reason at all? I mean, is the victim more dead if the perp hates him? Is a cross burner more dangerous than a murderer? Would someone insane enough to attack someone else because of their skin color even pay much attention to any laws, much less stupid hate crimes laws?

I get really confused. Maybe you can explain it to me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.