Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
First Post? Who cares, does anyone buy these things outside of Italy? I wonder if the price will go down or the quality first, when will they start selling them in Walmart?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Showing your prejudice, huh? The Chinese are perfectly capable of building good quality goods. It's just that people ask for cheap, so the Chinese respond with "how cheap?"

Being bought by the Chinese might be a very good thing for Benelli. At least the Chinese understand marketing and exporting, something most of the Italian companies have trouble with. Even Ducati didn't become the darlings of the world until after TPG took over.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree. The Italian papers were saying that this is a solid Chinese company. I don't think they want to cheapen Benelli. They want the know-how and they want to expand to a boutique brand. BTW, what we say about Chinese goods now, we used to say about Japanese. IN the 1950s, I remember that Made in Japan stood for "cheap and likely to break soon" (at least in Europe). Now Japanese automakers are the standards of quality. The same wll happen with China, and we'd better be prepared, because China is much bigger and powerful than Japan...

·
Registered
91 Posts
There is a world of difference in attitudes between Chinese and Japanese. Just because both nations are Asian, does not mean they are the same or that their industries will pursue the same targets. I happen to work in a place where a majority of people is Asian and I can tell you from my experience that the Chinese will, on a broad-level, NEVER produce Japan-level quality goods. It simply is not what they are after.

I could go into individual differences in mentality, but I won't since I fear I'll be branded racist and feeding prejudices by the politically correct folks.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hey!If you know something,don,t be afraid to tell us !I would hope that we are open minded here.Iagree. I,m black and have gone out with chinese folks,japanese and filipinos on several different occasions and yes ,there is a different mentality in all of them.The japanese are fnatics about quality and detail.,that I can tell you.So enlighten us.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Chinese DON'T understand marketing. At all. Merchandising, yes; marketing, no. We buy billions of dollars with of Chinese goods every day in this country. But do any Chinese brand names spring to your mind? Not many.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Travel through the orient and you will see Chinese run businesses just about everywhere.. well at least everywhere I've been. Don't ever discount their business sense.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I think the Chinese are still suffering the residual effects of the last hundred years of political repression. The Japanese and So. Koreans have had a free market economy since the 50's and are that much further down the road in education and quality control. That's not to say the Chinese won't catch up or that they are incapable of learning, it'll just take time.

Maybe they'll put enough money into Benelli to resurect the six cylinder, that would be cool and in line with the retro standard style. Probably sell like hot cakes...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its the new trend. Chinese companies are buying respected brands world-wide, i.e. Lenovo bought IBMs PC business. This gives them instant consumer brand recognition and access to new markets with existing distribution channels. Eventually, the Chinese will own all the brand names and just about everything will be manufactured in China.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
And since they bought up most of the former Soviet Union's blue water navy, and most of our cement and steel mills out from under us, watch out. Remember the old adage, the country that produces the most steel and cement usually wins the next war.

As well as neat stuff like motorzied bicycle kits, Jawa knock-offs and now Buicks.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
We all better learn how to use chopsticks, 'cause China is the next big player.

Maybe they'll resurrect the Tornado, pushrods and all. I'm sure the tooling is still around.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's a good start for the Chinese. The next step will be to produce a unique Chinese-style product. That will take a decade or more. They have a long ways to go if they are only going to make products that already exist on the world market. The rest of the world has the advantage of staying ahead of them. Plus, if you think low wages are going to stay low, which gives them a slight edge now then go back and review your history.

We all thought the US automotive industry was history in the '80s when the Japanese leap- frogged us with high quality fuel-efficient cars and motorcycles. That didn't happen. Not only that, but to be able to sell their fine quality products in the U.S. they had to build their factories here.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.