Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the stripped-down approach to bikes and hot rods.

Rattle-can flat black with red accents looks good, too.

The reason for the original hot rod movement was that guys couldn't afford new cars. They cobbled together cars and bikes from what they could buy cheap or find in a junkyard.

It was about ingenuity and imagination, not cubic dollars.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I always thought "chop" meant "take stuff off." Now it means attaching spikes and webs and toy missiles.

Bobbers are cool. I think that will be the next phase, as a reaction against the excesses of chopperdom.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Cool I like it..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I like Bobbers too.. Don't really like the really raked out choppers.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Proof positive that as soon as something gets popular, it gets stupid. Time for all the morons to go back into the woodwork and leave the motorcycles to those that know what the whole chopper scene was about in the first place.

·
Registered
330 Posts
"If the Angels sell drugs, steal motorcycles and do other bad things (always constrained by the Angel's own loose code of ethics), it's not because they're bad people, it's because they want to ride their motorcycles without being judged, arrested or otherwise limited."

I dunno. I remember back in the '70s it became fashionable to say "criticize the behavior, not the person." But as I live through the years, it looks to me like if somebody does bad things repeatedly, then that person is a bad person. To think otherwise seems to me to be kind of muddle-headed. (As in dumb.)

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Hopefully raked out choppers will go the way of disco...(I hope rap succumbs to the same faint by the way) I like bobbers and trackers i.e. bikes that have some pretense for handling. Nice review Gabe... Not my cup of tea though

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
should same fate by the way :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Let me know when they start making good bikes... you know with maybe some rear suspention?

Didn't the whole custom bike thing start out by taking a bike and modifying it to be less standard more purpose made for one task or another? (crusing, cafe racing etc.)

Back when all bikes were standards?

What's the purpose of a chopper? I see the apeal of making a stripped beautifully made motorcycle. The thing I don't understand is why give that motorcycle a high rake, a old heavy engine, horrible ground clearence, no rear suspention etc. ?

Why not make one that's a pretty bare bones stripped down bike that still handles well? Like TZ / RD400 's you see ? (TZ250, 350 with a RD400 engine in it)

Or a tigercraft framed single?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Thank the good lord that the chopper craze is going out with a whimper. At the IMS, there were more than a few long-faced "custom" builders and a noticeably shrinking presence.

Some ***** in her underwear spread-eagle on the seat of one of those things drew a modest and equally skanky crowd, but that was about it. Even OCC decided not to show up this year.

Hey, but you could have gotten a used Dee Synder-owned chopper for the cut-rate price of something like $56,000 (marked down from $79,000). I didn't see any takers.

I probably won't be seeking out this movie, but at least it sounds like the subjects weren't attempting to rob people blind...at least not for motorcycles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Its brings back the days when if you were wrenching on your scoot on a saturday you could count on a bud or two dropping buy to "help"(if not wrenching, at least drinking your beer). And if your stuff was running for a change,you could drop by someone else's place ..guaranteed someone was wrenching on a bike or jalopy. Now I do most of my wrenching alone...no one ever drops by unless I call for help. And if I drop by a buddys house he's more likely to be cutting grass. My son and his Bud's are a little like the old days, but their bikes are newer and more reliable and they arent working on em much. The old bikes we had may have been junk,but we had a lot of fun learning to work on em. Young riders today have it a lot better, but I think they are also missing something. Nice to see some younger guys are keeping the old hot rod thing alive.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.