Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm not sure how accurate this survey is, since I distinctly remember taking it and I live in Atlanta.

Besides, I'd be willing to bet a month's salary that the great city of Portland won't take a blind bit of notice of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Having lived there for 28 years and learned to ride there I can say that it's a fairly good city to ride in (even with the weather). But i'm damn sure the city won't take into account any of that information. Their focus is public transpo and carpool... bikes don't figure into that as much.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Do the motorcycles in Portland have rain gutters too? Like the bird-baths, trees and dog houses?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Being a year round Portland rider, I'd say this over represents winter riding here. I saw one bike on the way to work here, whereas in the summer I'd see 25 or so. Mind you it's raining today, but with so many saying they ride in winter, I have to think we had some out of area riders completing the survey.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Boy u guys need to improve your reading comphrension..

I think Portland has suceeded where Seattle and other cities have failed.. Portland has an extensive integrated system of light rail (MAX) , modern street car, and buses.. Getting all those cages off the rode is a good thing. Also the city at least asked the question about lane splitting/sharing. How many red-state cities would ask the question boys? eh Helter? chromeburn ? You boys get a D for reading comphrension..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
"I'm not sure how accurate this survey is, since I distinctly remember taking it and I live in Atlanta."

Really so you lied and said you lived in Portland then..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Nope

·
Registered
89 Posts
The survey seems to be asking for a law approving lane-splitting. Does Portland (or OR) actually have an explicit law against lane-splitting? States I know of where it's legal, it's legal because there's no law against it (as in CA). You don't need a law to make something legal, you just need to repeal one making it illegal - if there is one.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Your homework assignment.

Sounds like a bargain versus the almost 3 hour commute I had to work (one way) in Seattle yesterday (only 30 miles). Do you live in Portland?

Think about all those people on the light rail and street cars in autos. When you can visualize that you have Seattle. Don't believe watch this link this afternoon The traffic jam will start at 2:00 PM and go to 8:00 pm..

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Give credit where credit is due. Portland is a very progressive city with a well developed bicycle path / lane system. If they can do that, they it is quite conceivable they will try to make things more biker friendly. After all, motorcycles use less space, reduce congestion, and is produce less emissions (with the excepion of noise).

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I am pretty sure it is illegal in OR. It's definitely illegal here in WA.. A guy got a ticket the other day trying to split to get to an open spot in the car pool lane..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.