Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also...

Doesn't BMVAY made a twin that makes 95 hp and more torque ( although a little higher up ) in the 1150RT? Why couldn't they just throw that exact same motor ( No 'revised' torque curve...) in this BMW? 50hp? Jeez, how do you lose 40hp out of the same motor? Is lowering the power band that critical to how these things run? Isn't the 1150RT just a little lighter than this thing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I really liked this review, more in-depth than the one done about a year ago in Cruiser Magazine. One of the benefits of web vs print; unlimited space.

Having the views of five different riders allowed the personally of the bikes to come through the column.

PS. Great photography…

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Easily one of the better tests done at MO. I'm sure Sean's teeth are about 1/4 inch shorter after this one. Grinding them through the whole test, and then having Eric put him in an arm bar to say nice things about these bikes must have been painful for him. I'm sure the smile on his face will be much bigger with the new 1000 test. Gabe rated the Harley first, so we obviously can't trust what HE says any more! Reading this while watching the light snow here is just depressing. Nice job MO.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Why Bother?

Why bother with any of these pretenders when you can get a real touring bike, the Honda Gold Wing, for around the same price?

It has more power, better handling, better styling, better comfort...better just about everything than any of these bikes.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Excellent job boys. I wish I'd have been there. Oh wait, I was!

I'd like to point out my lightly modded geezer glide was neck and neck with Sean on the Victory in an impromptu stoplight dragrace. Of course, that's after he ate half the menu at the Roberto's lunch stop.

Gabe, you should be making lots of money doing this kind of thing. I'm an avid Car and Driver fan and you easily fit into that group.

I want to comment on the mind-numbing level of work that goes into doing one of these. This is a massive undertaking so I hope you whining, *****ing Morons check yourselves before you complain about your stupid dollar a month.

I burned out after the third photo stop and had to go pick up my kid from kindergarten.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: Why Bother?

1) If you really think you can buy a new Goldwing for $13K, please tell me where so I can go buy three of them and sell them for a $5K profit.

2) If I want a big scooter, I'll buy a Burgman, thank you. At least it has some character.

·
Registered
640 Posts
What a crock.

First off the Yamaha is nothing but a plastic chrome version of the real deal (Harley). I can't imagine anyone of these testes, rather testers, forking over for a clone when they can buy the Road King and forgo feeling like a weiner everytime they take it out for a ride. Nobody buys a plastic chrome wannabe ride like the Yamaha without spending the rest of their days justifying their purchase to everyone within earshot. The truth. I don't know any cops or fireman lusting after foreign bikes, no they save for the Harley. I go into the jap bike shops and always cringe when I see how they try to copy Harley. The Yamaha is the best looking of the bunch because it is the easiest to mistake for a Harley. Seeing how that is the case, then the only reason to buy one is because you can't forsee the crapola you will endlessly endure until you unload the thing on some other unwitting sap for half of what you paid for it. Oh, by the way, after you make that mistake, make sure you also purchase a full coverage helmet with a heavily tinted face shield. No one will recognize you that way. Calling it as I see it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Re: All Hail Gabe!

That kind of engine character best fits this kind of bike- you don't want a cruiser that you have to rev the ***** out of. I rode a V-Rod and hated it for just that reason.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
You might notice

The Harley has Harley-Davidson in big letters on the tank and a small Road King on the fender.

The other bikes have a giant Road Star or Nomad on the tank and the name of the manufacturer buried on the engine somewhere.

Thanks for starting a flame war E-glider!

1 - 20 of 203 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.