Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How a company as large as, and with as much engineering accumen as Honda could make a blunder of this magnatude over the course of four model years continues to baffle me. VWW

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
It's because the company is so large. It probably took at least two years for the original memo to wend its way through a gauntlet of 500 vice-presidents, middle managers and assorted other levels of administratium. Then a fix had to be proposed and approved by the same phalanx of @ss-kissers and buttboys. Now, since the fix was inadequate it'll take another two years to come up with another solution.

Ah, the joys of bureaucracy.

Could be worse. Honda could do the usual thing and simply blame the customers. It's probably only the threat of lawsuits that got Honda to do anything at all. Once Bushbaby is done with tort reform there won't be any more need for recalls at all. Or is Bushbaby just using tort reform to protect incompetent doctors? It's hard to keep up with what the idiots are doing today.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey, you just rang a bell in my otherwise dense cranium. Bad welds may have been a problem in previous models. My 96, which I bought used with about 6,000 miles on it was absolutely beautiful and looked brand new, but it had one problem. One of the tangs which the fairing plastic snapped onto was in the wrong place. No way could it have worked, ever, yet it was welded there. I thought at the time that the weld around it and the joint of two frame members near it looked awfully amateurish for a factory job. But it rode nice, so I rigged up a fastener for the shroud and forgot about it, until this recall prodded my mind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am probably not the target market for a Gold Wing (34 years old, 1150GS and KTM 625SMC)...but I had my eye on a new white Gold Wing....figured if any Honda was over-engineered it was this model....and would be very upset if I had to have my new bike 'welded' by a dealer...who is doing the work? Are they certified? etc, etc, etc.

Watch out for that pothole!!!

Chris

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The last go 'round, in my area the Dealership contracted the work out to a local welder that had to hold the appropriate credentials. There were specific instructions on how the repair was to be accomplished.

Problem to me is our Dealerships' wrenches are notorious for being incompetent. I'd be concerned whether they put the bike back together properly after the frame repair.

I'm wondering if the recall requires the guys who had this work done previously need to go back for another inspection.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1) I wonder if anyone has been badly hurt by this issue. What part of the frame is it?

2) I wonder if the Gold wing is just too darn big and heavy to be trying to make an optimized aluminum frame for it. I suppose maybe not as they make cars with aluminum frames, but maybe Honda went a little too far with the design of this bike.

·
Registered
512 Posts
What the F$%^!!!

I just bought a brand new 2004 Wing!! NOW I HAVE TO TAKE IT IN FOR A F$%^ RECALL!!!!

That's why I bought a Honda, because they are supposed to be so perfect!!!!!

I AM NOT PLEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sometimes, I think companies get too caught-up in optimizing thier optimzing, of Whizz-Bang optimizations, they forget to make the Damn-Things work.

The first-couple years of the Busas had frame-weld problems, back near the swing arm. Now, that's a frame-break that'd really worry me.

Even so, God Wings being their Flagg Ship, you'd think Honda would'a been more careful.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Called American Honda at 1-866-784-1870

So I called American Honda and it sounds like it's only part of the 2004 model year production. Late production models will not be affected.

They told me to call back on the 15th of Febuary and they would have the VIN list breakdown to let me know if my 04 is effected.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have owned to Honda motorcycles in my life, they both siezed up the motors.

Everyone one bags on Harley for selling an image and not a good cycle product...but the biggest screw over of the american people is by japanese companies especially Honda that has convinced everyone that its products are perfect when in reality most all motorcycles today have very similar reliability and quality.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.