Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Comment:

People who knowingly (and if the deal's too good to be true, it probably is) buy stolen good are just as big of pieces of as the people who do the stealing. Without a market for stolen goods, one suspects the incentive to steal would be greatly reduced.

I HATE THEVIN' AND THE PEOPLE WHO BUY THEIR STUFF!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not an expert in HD history, but if memory serves, the only reason HD is even around today is because the US Government put huge taxes on imported motorcycles when sold in the US during the 80's. So, everytime someone went out and bought a foreign motorcycle, HD got a piece of that sale. (Can't remember if it was at the time of sale or just the time of import.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Having begun my facination with all two wheeled motor-driven devices over forty years ago, starting with a lawnmower engine powered minibike, I have ridden just about every type of bike out there. Of course, I prefer to ride my knee-scrapin', wheelie-poppin' sport bike (which I trade ever two or three years for no intelligent reason), I finally broke down and bought an HD as a second bike 'cause my girlfriend likes it, primarily because it is so shiny, I guess. Chicks like Harley's, end of story. Does that make her and other babes like her somewhat superficial? I suppose it does, but then she got the boob job for me, so who am I to point fingers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't hold your breath waiting for the bottom to drop out of the HD market. They will be in demand when the rice burners and bratwurst grillers have bitten the dust. When you mention to someone that your going riding they don't ask, Do you have a BMW or Honda , it's do you have a Harley, the American bike. I agree that some dealers have overpriced their product. Fortunately, I've had the pleasure of buying from honest ones. Who cares if the uppercrust is buying them. I saved for a long time to buy mine and am proud to be a HD owner. There is a bond with those who ride, and probably a greater one with those who ride Harleys. So good luck to you wanna be-s, see you on the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Motorcycles are fun for everyone!

When I was in high school I wanted a bike, BAD. I scraped together (in 1991) $250 for a 1972 Honda CB350. I loved it, I didnt care that everyone laughed at it, it was the thrill of riding. I gradually moved up thru cb750s to a mighty KZ1000. I have put tens of thousands of miles on bikes in all seasons, rain, snow, everything.

I am now graduated from college and have a job. I am a computer programmer, and I now own a new ZRX1100, and a 1983 BMW RT. I know what it means to love bikes and love riding. If you want to say that because someone worked hard to educate themselves, and now is reaping the financial rewards that they are not REAL bikers, then you are sorely misguided. I am not a fast rider, I am not the best rider, but I love to ride. I have fallen off, and I get back on. I do not hide under bridges in the rain, and my bike is not a fashion statement, altho it is a gorgeous machine.

Dentists who ride HD's, Software guys on new Kawasakis, whatever, these are the guys who have spent many hours trying to get their old rats to run before they could afford to buy a newer bike. I know my bikes had more miles up and down than forward.

Sure there are guys out there riding to look cool, but every sport has those participants. We as bikers should stick together, rather than insulting the people who are fortunate enough to own the machine of their dreams.

-Ken

·
Registered
13 Posts
Motorcycles are fun for everyone! Even HD's

When I was in high school I wanted a bike, BAD. I scraped together (in 1991) $250 for a 1972 Honda CB350. I loved it, I didnt care that everyone laughed at it, it was the thrill of riding. I gradually moved up thru cb750s to a mighty KZ1000. I have put tens of thousands of miles on bikes in all seasons, rain, snow, everything.

I am now graduated from college and have a job. I am a computer programmer, and I now own a new ZRX1100, and a 1983 BMW RT. I know what it means to love bikes and love riding. If you want to say that because someone worked hard to educate themselves, and now is reaping the financial rewards that they are not REAL bikers, then you are sorely misguided. I am not a fast rider, I am not the best rider, but I love to ride. I have fallen off, and I get back on. I do not hide under bridges in the rain, and my bike is not a fashion statement, altho it is a gorgeous machine.

Dentists who ride HD's, Software guys on new Kawasakis, whatever, these are the guys who have spent many hours trying to get their old rats to run before they could afford to buy a newer bike. I know my bikes had more miles up and down than forward.

Sure there are guys out there riding to look cool, but every sport has those participants. We as bikers should stick together, rather than insulting the people who are fortunate enough to own the machine of their dreams.

-Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a 15,000 mi a yr ,30 yr rider who has ridden everything from a super 90 to a HD ultra, with cruisers , dirt bikes and crotch rockets along the way, may i say that the TRUE WANNA-BE is someone who thinks you gotta ride a certain kind of bike to be a biker. A biker lives in your soul if you get it you know, if you don't you buy chrome,and T shirts, Hope you live long enough to figure that out,

·
Registered
730 Posts
Actually thats only partially true......the turnaround was already underway when the tarrifs were implemented,They just gave HD some breathing room

Also of interest is the fact that HDE requested the tariffs be lifted early

The turnaround was a result of some very gutsy financial finagling

and significant production initiatives and improvement.There is a book about the turnaround that makes good reading whether you like Harleys or not.I believe the title is "Made well in America".I believe it is still in print.

Neal

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Motorcycles are fun for everyone! Even HD

Amen, few people spend 20k just to look cool, no matter how much cash they've got. We all ride because we love it to one degree or another. If someone buys a bike but doesn't love it you won't see them on the street for long.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: The XR750 in street trim is sweet too !

Neal,

I didn't mean to pee in your cornflakes. I think Guzzi's, the Daytona and 1100 are very cool. I also like the BMW R1100GS. And I've seen an XR750 in street trim that was vvveeerrrryyyy sweet. I'm not shallow enough to harp on people for not riding sportbikes but I think that some reality checks are needed from time to time. Ever seen a Vincent ? Or an Elgi-Vincent ? Now that is something I would pay 30 large for. For the Ducati "farm machinery" post earlier...it was gun barrels that they made, not farm equipment. And Aprilia ? Would you believe it was furniture ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
So that you can take the clutch basket out of the running one and put it in the broken one ? HA !! Flame away...it was a joke I couldn't resist !

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Uhm.....he's right ya' know.

I really have to agree with Nick on that one. They are easy to ride and very unintimidating which is probably why so many women ride them too. Admit it...you don't see too many women on GSXR's, ZX's, RR's, etc.. Of course their tits get in the way of being able to put an elbow on the tank on a long ride but that's beside the point. I TOTALLY agree with the last sentence. You put the same yuppie dentist on a new GSXR1000 and his shaking would probably roll the turd he put in his underwear right down and out of his pants leg.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Re: The XR750 in street trim is sweet too !

man you're talkin to a guy whos been around a long time and LOVES ALL bikes

Not only have I seen an Egli Vincent...Ive ridden one(about a 1/4 mile).

A friend of mine has a Sportster which he's gonna put a hybrid sportster/Xr750 motor into.Dont ask me the details...the motor is being built by Bobby Hoh who tuned for the factory when Cal Rayborn raced.

The owner of the Egli has 2 KR750's which Bobby tunes and a friend of mine races in AHRMA.I got no bucks so I have to be content to race vintage motocross with Aermacchi HD's(2 BAJA's and a Sprint and a Redline BAJA.

So Im not a newby ....been riding for a long time and love it.I'm

gonna put my son on one of the BAJA's at Daytona and race him

How many of us get to do that!!!!keep an open mind and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tony,

You're rightt there is a mystique to the H-D brand, solidified by the biker gangs in the 60s and 70s, as well as by famous movies like "Easy Rider" (I don't think "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" helped out too much).

H-D has become an American Icon, just like baseball (arguably which is played better in Latin American countries, although the players do come to the US to play for the $$$), Jazz music, and Sousa Marches.

H-D will never lose that emotional appeal, but times will change. Can you image people from 1910 being told that Sears would drop its catalog service? Or that Woolworth's (another former American icon) would close its doors? When H-D produces enough bikes to meet demand, the prices will drop to competitive levels (which is why the USA placed higher tariffs on imported Japanse bikes for H-D in the first place), and everyone will be happy.

The market will never fall out, it will just change, and Harley knows that--just look at all the accessory parts and clothing they offer (all which seems to be of top quality).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Polaris Sportbikes...

Give Polaris some time. They are doing okay at the moment (their stock is actually better than H-D's at the moment). They've added one bike a year to their motorcycle line. Currently there is a cruiser, a deluxe cruiser (comes accessoried for cruising), and a sportscruiser. The rumor mill has suggested that 3 things are going down with the Victory line.

First, they are feverishly working to create an actual touring bike, knowing that many current owners of Victory Motorcycles want this.

Second, they may discontinue the SportCruiser after this year, but we're not sure. Sales were not fantastic in its first year, but this year may pick up. Easy Rider just named the SC the "SportCruiser of the Year"

Third, rumors abound that Victory will produce a sportbike as well as a smaller entry-level cruiser. They are committed to the motorcycle market, and have goals to produce 20,000 motorcycles a year. Currently they manufacture about 4000 a year. H-D will make 26,000 Fat Boys alone in 2001, so you can see that Polaris offers no threat whatsoever. But what Polaris can do is to simply change things quicker than the large manufacturers. Since Polaris is committed to competitive snowmobiling, expect a sportbike eventually...it's in the blood of the company.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Motorcycles are fun for everyone! Even HD

You might not see them long, but you can usually get a heck of a deal on a bike that somebody just doesn't want anymore. I say, "GO MIDLIFE CRISIS!!!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe the traditional Harley riders, the ones that owned them before they became fasionable, will be able to afford them again.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts