Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post?

Interesting read - I was hoping for the other states to be listed, and perhaps even a little critique of why the others are higher with helmet laws.

95% of the time, I don't ride without one - but it's my choice

DB (Denver, CO)

·
Registered
285 Posts
AAARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

I can't take it anymore!

If CO ranks 8th in the nation, and is the only one in the highest top ten of per capita of motorcycle deaths that does NOT have a helmet law, doesn't that mean that the TOP 7 DO HAVE HELMET LAWS!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Somebody Please hand me the duct tape so I can keep my HEAD FROM EXPLODING!!!

Rob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep, it means the TOP 7 DO HAVE HELMET LAWS!!!!!!!

Usually requiring riders under a certain age to wear a helmet. That way idiots who don't wear helmets can be sure their bad genes survive because their kids have to wear a helmet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Iowa doesn't have a helmet law. I think Idaho doesn't, either. Don't know the 4th. Florida, maybe?

Amazing records there in CO...... Nearly doubling the deaths from 2002 to 2004? Did they gravel the sport-biking roads in summer, or something?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Speaking of helmet laws, how are those Avons holding up for you? I got 13k on the rear on the Trophy before I picked up a nail. You're Suzuki is similar in weight and performance so aside from road temps and surfaces and riding styles (which is pretty much everything) I imagine you'd get close to the same..

Just curious, unless you LIKE helmet/oil/dead people/Bioweasel rants.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Darwin principle works with motorcycle "drivers" that believe helmets do nothing but interfer with their freedom. It removes the obviously stupid genes from the human gene pool. Love it.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Before I censure you for introducing an off-topic subject, I'll tell you that I've put about 6k on them so far and there is still boocoo tread left. We'll see if they beat the Dunlop 205 record of 10K mi on the rear. Best of all they aren't cupping like the Dunlops were so wont to do.

Now, back to it,...censure censure.. people who don't wear helmets deserve to die.... gas prices are too high..... we need more laws to punish everyone who doesn't agree with me ..... yada yada yada......

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Oooh Oooh Colorado...

..banjos playing through the broken glass..

Oh that was Alabama...sorry. Why do I think of Niel Young when i read stuff like 'dis?

wait a minune...here comes another one..."your cranium has got bounced off of the street, and now it is cracked...."

oooh oohh colorado....

·
Registered
780 Posts
I believe this goes to proves that the ‘idiots’ on motorcycles are actually represented by the power ranger crowd who manage to wreck a perfect working motorcycle, on a perfectly good road, under perfect weather conditions with un-wavering consistency and frequency.

I guess insurance companies and law enforcement agencies have been correct all along …

·
Registered
780 Posts
Insurance companies and law enforcement agencies will let you know that the rider most likely to take the old ‘sand nap’ to be the idiot on a sport bike. The rate at which this occurs goes to prove the high correlation between being an idiot and a sport bike rider.

I do not wish anybody dead, but the sooner those clowns are off public roads the better …

·
Registered
17 Posts
You have to be careful drawing conclusions when comparing states with severe winters to the other states.

The death rate per miles ridden must be even worse (relative to other sates) in CO where most riders only ride regularly 7 months of the year.

In places like CA and FL you should expect higher death rates per 100,000 people because people ride a lot more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is an interesting article but logical analysis indicates someone is likely messing with the statistics. The article notes "...There was, however, a 40 percent increase in the number of registered motorcycles during this period, although the total number of miles driven on motorcycles declined slightly." Unless the 40% garage their bikes, there would have to be an increase in miles driven and if the growing lack of motorcycle parking spots at work is a sample indicator, I'd say this is propaganda aimed at elimination of someone’s pet peeve or there desire to enforce a personal opinion of what is right on the rest of the population. Personally, I wear a helmet and at least a padded jacket at all times but I also believe that this and seat belts should be a personal decision not a political decision based on campaign donations, lobbyist attention, or the state/federal senators best rich buddies wants. I guess I would write the article totally off, but there's enough to doubt the validity, do some analysis and see if the writer's motive can be discovered.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Are we looking at the right things?

I would like to see reports correlate 1) participation in a motorcycle safety program (or lack thereof) with 2) accident/fatality data. Unfortunately, the following is taken directly from the NHTSA website...

"Link among rider education, licensing, and crash data: Seven States (Delaware, Florida, Idaho, Maryland, New Mexico, New York, and Oregon) could link both their licensing data and their rider education data to crash statistics for their State. The only other State that could link any information to crash data was California, which could connect only licensing data with crash statistics."

Enough already! We all already know... if you hit your head hard enough, you die. Me thinks it would be more important to AVOID hitting one's head in the first place.

And for all those stats weenies, the NHTSA data indicates that helmets would only prevent deaths thirty-six percent of the time, in persons killed in accidents (who were not wearing a helmet during the accident).

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.