Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yada yada yada. Typical media fear-mongering.

What are the numbers? If the number of riders has doubled then the increase means nothing. If the number of riders has tripled then doubled fatalities is an improvement.

And to think that legislators make decisions based on this sort of schlock garbage reporting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here's a quote from komotv.com, about washington state:

"Nearly 40 people have died in motorcycle crashes around the state this year. Since 1999 the number of motorcycles licensed in the state is up 60 percent, while the number of motorcycle deaths has risen by 89 percent, Trooper Kirk H. Rudeen said."
The information I want to know is how many of the new riders took the safety classes, how many of the dead had motorcycle licenses, how many had DOT approved helmets.

If you search google news for "motorcycle accident", you'll find plenty of fatalities. If you read through the articles, you'll also find that the majority of them weren't wearing helmets.

It pains me to see so many riders here in Colorado not wearing a helmet. I should make my own bumpersticker:

USE YOUR HEAD!

WEAR A HELMET!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Cynic! People are dying! The government needs to do something and you are nitpicking about facts? What kind of a heathen are you to delay important legislation that will save lives? Any law they can make, and even if it saves only one precious life will be worth it. Whatever the gov comes up with will be fine with me 'cause I'm that kind of a guy.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Knock it off. You know that the helmet law is a Divine Universal Panacea. Like Affirmitive Action. It makes everyone feel better and removes any need to deal with annoying issues like competence.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bathtubs! Don't forget bathtubs! We can become safer (and more European too) by banning bathtubs.

And soccer. Don't forget soccer either.

And high school football.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Not necessarily

I second that.. Not to many GPTB (cruiser riders) wear full-face helmets in Seattle.. Lots of cute beanies..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Point

I created a Google alert to send me email for all motorcycle accidents. Every day I was sent an accident story.. Most of the team the death involves someone not wearing a helmet.. Don't believe me set up your own Google alert or Yahoo alert to do the same... I shut it off cause I was getting to depressed...

·
Registered
424 Posts
I spit my coffee when I read that!

What'd ya say we invite Mr Top Gun to a MO track day? I'd love to see him show us all up.

I'd bet we could even get Sean to come out of MO retirement for that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Colorado Doubles (standard).

And why single out motorcyclists? When doing that I think it contributes to the public idea that motorcycles are 'dangerous.' They need to include automobiles statistics with motorcycle statics when they report these numbers, and break out those numbers when reporting. Media "journalists" suck! Did they also include the guy who was hit by lightning while commuting from Denver to Boulder? Everyone was like "he was probably riding irresponsibly, no helmet, stunting, etc. and got what he deserved... What, he got hit by LIGHTNING?! Riding responsibly and wearing a helmet, too?! Wow, poor guy."

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Got to watch those "reported" numbers.

For example, KP, did you check out the USA Today segment on the budget? I thought you would like to see that the deficit is actually double what the white house is reporting. Oh, and the reported $559 Bilion surplus from the Clinton admin ended up being a $484 Billion deficit according to the Treasuries audit numbers.

I thought you'd enjoy that. See you guys next week, heading to Tahoe.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.