Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the Triumph still works for you, ride it! I rode my '93 ST1100 for 11 years and 101,000 miles. Sure, I had a dirtbike as well for a few years in there, and a really crappy V65 Sabre for a year, but the one or two secondary bikes, but the ST1100 was basically it. The ST took me on many, many long distance trips, countless weekend rides, commuting, and even a track day. Great bike.

Eventually I bought a used FJR1300, but it still took almost six months before I could bring myself to sell the ST. It took me that long to make sure the FJR really suited me better than the ST.

Bottom line: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Been there, done that. Thought my 78 GS550E Suzuki was the last bike I'd ever buy, it was awesome. Then there was a early 80s KZ750 four, it too was awesome. Then something happened I thought impossible, I bought an 86 Suzuki Intruder 700 and actually fell in love with it. Eventually it wore out. The next bike I thought I couldn't get rid of was an 84 Goldwing but it was replaced by an 03 ST1300. Each time I experienced those committment issues and each time I've been pleasantly surprised. So I think you should go for it!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Pplassm is old, like jo momma!

I would like to point out that your bike is as old as I am, and you have ownerd it since I was in kindergarten.

--The Fox

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, I'm sort of the opposite. I've owned 7 bikes in 10 years, and I feel like I'm sleeping around. So I wouldn't worry about the "pipe and slippers" mentality.

Obviously your ST is yours, so I think you should keep it for good. Why get rid of it? Besides, the multi bike stable is where it's at. I don't think anyone here would argue that. If you're trying to not have a bunch of liscense plates, get a dirt bike and a track bike. Now you've got all 3 arenas covered. Get something just to commute on, or to play around with. Life's too short to have just one.

Just think, if your wife doesn't like it and wants a divorce, then you can use the spare bedroom for parts storage and an engine shop, leaving room in the garage for MORE bikes! Hell yeah!

--The Fox

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I had a '71 Kwacker W2-650 that I rode until 1980 when the valves had gotten so bad and it finally backfired through the carbs and caught on fire. So I recommend you just ride the bike until the compression starts to go and then throw it away and get a new one. Repeat as necessary.

When you find that bike that fits perfectly why would you want to let it go?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You beat me to it. I was gonna ask him how he was gonna fit several motorcycles in a tent.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a multi bike stable but it has its fair share of problems too. Insert whiny tone here, "I can't decide which one to ride today". Also, the bikes that aren't being ridden seem to wear out even quicker than the one you're riding. It's an addiciton. Fortunately, my wife is very understanding; she barely gives me "THE LOOK" anymore when I bring home another bike that needs me.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I had the same problem. I bought a first year Heritage Softail in 86 and kept it until 04 when I decided to get a Roadglide. I put over 120,000 miles on the bike riding it all over the US and Europe. When it was sold and gone I felt like someone had shot my dog. I solved the problem by buying back the bike a year and a half later. Don't replace your ST, just add to it. I now have three bikes in the garage with more coming in the future. My wife is a little po'd about no room for her car but she'll get over it.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I don't think I have ever been emotionally attached to any bike. Check that. I still cry when I see a CBX. Should have kept that one. I have 4 now and will probably have 4 different ones 3 years from now. I want to ride em all.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You guys need prenuptial agreements. Geez.

I am not married, nor am I interested in being married. Marriage in America is an outmoded instution that has no real impact on the way two people feel for each other, just their financial situation. I'll be damned if I'm going to declare eternal love in front of a court for the sake of tax purposes.

Honestly, that's all it's good for, and is ostensibly the original intent: to solidify contracts, to strengthen political ties, and for hostage reasons. You don't need to marry someone to love them.

Besides, I don't want someone who can't make it alone. A woman's independance is one of her best attributes. Why take it away from her?

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Isn't he just DARLIN'!

You just feel for the guy- him not knowing when he's gonna get that ol' "Kick in the Jimmie".

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
+1!

Get another bike that is not the same class as the Sprint.

Then you can ride the one you're in the mood for!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.