Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Best Controller + Internet Competition?

I saw this when you first reported on it. It looks OK, but I still don't think you'll be able to beat a dual-analog gamepad controller for this game. The handlebar idea is nice, but it is so far from simulating real riding that what you give up in fine control with a dual-analog gamepad is frustrating.

For example, with the Interact Hammerhead FX (or Logitech Wingman Rumblepad), the left joystick is left-right and the right joystick is gas/brake (up and down). I use the trigger buttons under either index finger for shift up/shift down, and the buttons on the bottom of the controller for sit up/tuck in. With practice using these controls, you can get some lurid Hayden/Roberts/Haga slides into and out of corners. The replays are great, perhaps I'll post some for download for those of you that have 2001.

Also, there is a network game feature built into Superbike 2001. Perhaps MO should host (via your superfast connections and servers right?) an Internet head-to-head championship for the loyal readers, with the winner getting to go to an upcoming testing day at Willow? I'm only suggesting this because I know I'll win and want to ride the new 2001 bikes!

What do you think MO?

Jeff

·
Registered
367 Posts
I had the exact same question that jimngo did: Do you countersteer and lean, or just turn the 'bars like it was a trike, or worse yet... a CAR? *shudder*

·
Registered
104 Posts
My guess is...

My guess is by default you steer it like a car, BUT almost every game these days will let you invert X and Y axis. I believe you can even do it within the game control panel in Windows. So you will be able to set it up for countersteering like a bike. I seriously doubt they incorporated some way to lean the controller, like a bike, as that would require the game to be designed around the controllers extra axis.

Rob

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought one of these for my son for Christmas and he actually asked me to return it a few days later. Pretty surprising from a 9 year old but he was right..... it just didn't work very well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I met the manufacturer of the Ducati Corse handlebars at the Consumer Electronic Show in Las Vegas and was really excited about the product. I hope to be importing them myself very soon and will try to keep the price under $50 US.

I also saw another brand (for Playstation etc..) that wasn't for PCs and it was being test marketed at Target Stores. They had it in the Target in Anaheim Hills, CA. I also saw that Yahoo (The Internet people) also are introducing a PC (usb) one too. It'll be a bit pricier.

Moto On

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased the Logitech Wingman rumblepad, and the dual analog control is really nice! For those of you who have been playing with the keyboard, the difference is night and day! One odd thing though. For some reason, I wasn't able to assign the right stick's y-axis(up/down) to throttle/brake. But I can assign the left stick's y-axis to throttle/brake. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: I don

YES!!!! I've got AMA Superbike which I waited forever for and was very excited to get. My excitement ended when I got it and discovered it's almost impossible to really play well. I'd venture to guess it'd be easier to actually race in a real superbike race!!! I know they tried to make it as realistic as possible but they just made it too damn hard. I thought I was just a geek until I read a magazine article stating that they felt it was difficult to control also.

My son's got Excitebike for N64 and that's a pretty good game to play.

·
Registered
2 Posts
has anyone tried it with a wheel controller?? Granted, i'd imagine it would be like 'driving' a motorcycle, but if one had to choose between a joystick and a wheel, which one would you choose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ea sports 2000 for the pc. It is a great game. As far as controllers go I prefer to use the Joystick versus the steering wheel. It feels better to lean the bike(through thr stick )into the corners. With the steering wheel you end up driving the bike like a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: HUSKERDU - Who makes AMA superbike game??????????

It's made by Motorsims. It has several US tracks but I can't remember them all. Mid Ohio, Sears Point, Road Atlanta.....

Graphics and options are good. You can set up suspension etc. Problem is that it just friggin hard to stay on the track. This was the first version and **I think** they may have improved it but I found it very hard to enjoy because it was just a to control. After a few laps I'd find myself taking joy in pulling wheelies and seeing how hard I could crash into a wall.

I'd like to try another game if anyone's got a recommendation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine for PlayStation yesterday. I've been trying it out with 'Castrol Honda Superbike Racing'.

I can't comment on the setup for PC's but after a bit of fooling around with the controller I got analog controls working on steering, throttle, and brake.

Unfortunately, the games controller setup wouldn't let me reverse left and right, so you end up steering rather than counter-steering, although you can set it up kind of low so you sort of push down to steer ...

The controller is adjustable in three positions for the angle to the base, also has three modes for digital/analog and 6 settings for steering sensitivity (which make a VERY pronounced difference from least to greatest, so you can tune this to your preference). Also it has really cool lights that light up sort of like an analog tach corresponding to throttle position.

I'm not real thrilled with the playability of Castrol Honda, which makes it hard to give an in-depth review of the controller, but I may try picking up something else this weekend and see how it works. Can anyone recommend good PlayStation moto-sim ? Especially one that you know allows you to reverse left and right so I can counter-steer all day ?

I ordered mine of www.ducati.it late last Friday night (early Saturday in Italy) and received mine by DHL on Wednesday. 60.95 Euro + 12.95 shipping. (Or $57.02 + $12.15 shipping).

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's odd...

I won two WERA regional championships this year, and I play computer games.

How many did you win? :)

- Brian Roach #699

2000 WERA Mid-Atlantic D-Superbike & Formula-2 Champion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.