Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've seen something similar to that at the office parking lot a few blocks from where I live. It's the same idea - two wheels in front, one in the back - powered by what looks like a liter-sized inline-4 MC engine. This one has a roof and a steering wheel, though. I forget the name of it right now, but it looks like an absolute blast to drive.

BikerVince

·
Registered
265 Posts
Reminds me of the 1930s era British Morgan 3-wheeler "motorcycle" or whatever. The Morgan also looked a lot more stylish with an 8/80 or 9/90 JAP or Matchless v-twin mounted crosswise over the front axle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it's a great idea.. Design it a little further and you get similar performance and probably better all-weather handling than motorcycles. Make it street legal and give it somewhere to add hard bags, carry a passenger comfortably, make it look a little less funky with the body styling, and you'll have a nice alternative to a car or motorcycle.

Maybe it'd be a nice alternative to people with less balance or with disabilities, or just people who think it'd be similarly practical without the fears of it tipping over in a parking lot..

I guess the real problem with would be visibility.. It looks lower than most motorcycles and might be harder to see by some people in a quick glance..

Ah well, just because it's not a motorcycle doesn't mean it's inadequate as a mode of transportation or just to have a lot of fun on.

Just my two cents..

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
A whole new genre in spelling

"This concept will start a whole new jondrah of light weight, high performance, relatively cheap motoring."

Jondrah? I mean, how can you be THAT far off??? He only got one letter right--and in the wrong position!

Then again, I don't speak Aussie.

That is all.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I hope the steering on this thing works motorcycle-countersteering-style: push right to go right. Otherwise it's a dangerous ride for motorcyclists.

I remember the first time I rode a quad - I almost crashed the thing on the first turn I came to, because it didn't countersteer as I subconsciously expected a handlebar-steered vehicle to do. And it turned in the opposite direction from where I wanted it to go. There is something about handlebars that makes the brain switch into countersteering mode.

Other than that, this 3-wheeler looks pretty fun, but I imagine a Hayabusa-powered go-cart would be fun, too, without the need for so much clean-slate engineering.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I don't want to sound like a naysayer. However, it seems like ever so often these trike things come along. They never catch on cause they don't combine the best of two worlds (bike vs.. car). You get a compromise. Like a hybrid (mountain/road) bicycles...It does neither thing well...

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Why so negative? Everyone giggles running a gocart up and down the street. This could turn your whole town into a gocart track. Wait! That would be irresponsible and need regulation.

Forget it, it would never work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Re: Mercedes had a much cooler version

They did it in 1912. See web site http://www.prewarbuick.com/id256.htm

The Flxible sidecar company - which later changed over to making buses. OK, so it's a side car instead of a three wheeler, but with the same idea. That's why they called it "Flxible". Any new ideas out there? Double overhead cams with 4-valve heads were invented by Recaro even earlier, and you could buy heads like this for your Ford Model T - if your 3-bearing poor metalurgy crank could take it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Saw something like that a couple of months ago here in St. Augustine. Weird at best. And there was a chrome, all chrome, including fairings sport bike with him. The bike had a drag style swing arm extended about 2 feet. Neither one looked much fun to ride but definitely got attention. And full straight pipe exhaust on both. Loud suckers.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its great the guy had a dream and followed it through ,but there are at least a dozen similar designed machines that have already been in production.The one designed and built in Holland would have to be the best handling and coolest looking one,unfortunatly I can't recall the company name.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Insane stuff.

Problem is the MSRP is somewhere over $40,000..

It'd be nice if someone actually made something that costs less (similar to motorcycle/small car price) and is still as much fun. It'd also be nice to keep the motorcycle controls.

I like how they keep the bike shift pattern but I don't like how they use a car-style clutch pedal and gas pedal.

Think they offer test drives for people who couldn't afford one? :p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.