Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You now own one of the Trimurti, the Brahma of the Motorcycle Pantheon. It's divinely inspired design needs no improvement.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Ahhh, I've got a 99 Concours with most of the farkles ever built. The bike did change a bit around 92 or so in regards to the front end, so with that in mind...A fork brace and new springs will help the handling quite a bit. A stage 1 jet kit will make cold starts easier and improve the low end on the bike. Since the front brakes on this bike are not what modern bikes enjoy, some braided brake lines and galfer pad or the like do help.

There are a number of convenience/comfort items too, like heated grips, a BMW outlet (or your preferred format) for the heated vest. Larry Buck makes large knobs for the screws on the side covers that allow you to access the rear suspension adjustment and air filter. BTW I've found that little preload in the front and maximum in the rear along with some air pressure seems to do best for me.

The number one farkle for your Concours is membership in the Concours Owner's Group. They truly are a helpful and reasonable bunch of folks, and the technical assistance is wonderful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've owned 2 Connies. Mr. Moore above is correct, stiffer springs are called for. I have a cruise control, peg extenders and bar risers, all installed by the first owner. I highly recommend the cc, as Connie is awfully buzzy, and it gives you a chance to shake your hands out.

Enjoy! Connies are a kick in the pants. Be sure to check out the COG website, http://www.concours.org/ for much helpful info.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Why not just buy another Concours and put it in the shop, that's a cheaper version.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I'm thinking drop a match in the gas tank and run.......

Buy a real motorcycle like a Triumph Sprint.....

Jack up the license plate and install a Bandit 1200 S....

Lot's of options there KKKKKKen

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a '99 Concours, all I've done to it is a Givi top box, Throttlemeister, J&M AudioPak + XM radio + CB, and a K&N air filter. I'm going to get heated grips and a Rifle screen in the near future. I've put on 25,000+ trouble free miles in my time as it's owner.

I don't have any problems with the dreaded buz(pun intended). Though you may want to check the fairing for loose bolts from time to time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Connie. I put 115,000 miles on the first and got rid of it by throwing it down the road one night. Not the bike's fault -- mine. I came out OK. The bike ran but the plastic was gone and it cost more than the insurance company thought the bike was worth.

I bought another '99 and lost 85,000 miles in the process.

The best things I've done to my Connies: Audiovox cruise control (I spend lots of long miles on straight, flat roads); Givi top box; Russell Daylong Saddle (much more comfortable than the Corbin, IMNSHO); heated grips; driving lights; Murph's Tip-over Bars; fork brace, Clearview GT24 windshield w/ vent.

As others have said, join the Concours Owners Group. It's one of the places where you can get seven or eight solutions for any problem (and five or six of them will work!) and a great group of folks.

One of the amazing things about this old bike is that it just flat works. It's probably not a BMW -- but that can be a good thing. We have very few final drive failures.

Phil Tarman

COG #3947

·
Registered
872 Posts
C-C-C-Careful, he might come to k-k-k-kill you.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Throttlemeister! Sounds good, I rode some 400 miles this weekend and I missed the throttle set screw from the HD.

The bike came with a bracket that I believe is intended to mount the top box. I'll check out the Givi box. Cycle World or Motorcyclist did a review on a JC Whitney (of all things!) box they said was pretty good. After the dinky saddlebags I've lived with on the HD for so long, the stock bags seem gigantic.

My screen does have a "star" crack around one of the bolt holes, so that will probably need replacing sometime soon. And the bike does "buzz." I found an article on adjusting the counterbalancer that may reduce that.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.