Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
"The Gebert operation was sophisticated, but it also was dangerous, considering that bikers have a menacing reputation and Harley owners in particular are known to be protective of their expensive bikes. So the couple packed guns, including one equipped with a silencer, "to embolden themselves" when they stole the motorcycles."

Any would-be thieves reading this should know that the "Other-than Harley" riders also are protective of their expensive bikes (in particular!), and many of US also pack guns, and have no compunctions about using them on ne'er-do-well's..........

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
"So the couple packed guns, including one equipped with a silencer, "to embolden themselves" when they stole the motorcycles"

-Sure hope they had a ClassIII license for that, cuz otherwise it would be illegal.

And we all know criminals follow the law very closely.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Too bad the Feds didn't tack on another 10 years for having a silencer.

Criminals is so stoopid. Freaking morons. If you want to get away with stealing money then just open an HD dealership. Yuppies can't throw it at you quickly enough.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Yeah them Harley bikers are pretty tuff cookies alright. Mess with them and they'll audit your books or pull your teeth out...maybe even sue you!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
would be very interesting to know if they do follow up with the federal firearms violation, i can't imagine them having a class III license. perhaps they are being charged, the article doesn't seem to provide very many details.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't ya just miss the good old days? H-D folks the way they ought to be. No lawyers, doctors or accountants like now. Real harley people, salt of the earth. Lawyers on retainers not on our bikes.

I wonder how many they'll take down with them when the turn?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't ya just miss the good old days? H-D folks the way they ought to be. No lawyers, doctors or accountants like now. Real harley people, salt of the earth. Lawyers on retainers not on our bikes.

I wonder how many they'll take down with them when they turn?

·
Registered
14 Posts
"Federal agents said the couple ran the theft operation from 1991 through 2004 and stole motorcycles in South Dakota, Florida, Georgia, California, Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania."

Did you notice that they didn't mess with Tennessee bikes? It is well known that many of us here DO legally carry concealed weapons. Incidentally - thus far, no licensed citizen has used the weapon in a crime.

·
Registered
872 Posts
String up them horse thieves.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Death and Taxes.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Usually they drop "minor" crap like that - to "unencumber" the ongoing Prosecution.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I doubt you'll find an incident in ANY of the 35-odd (not sure of the exact number) States where a LEGAL, LICENSED TO CARRY Citizen committed a single crime with his weapon.

However, it's already uncountable the number of crimes that have been halted in their tracks by those same Law-Abiders.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Doesn't matter. The sheeple would apparently rather have criminals operating freely than feel the discomfort of having armed honest citizens around them.

I'll leave to smarter people than me to figure out that pathology.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's simple, really. They only thing the sheeple know about guns is what they read or hear about. They have no real world experience with firearms, hence they are scared to death of them.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The logic is stupid but simple: If guns are illegal and no one has them, then they won't be available for criminals to get...

..because outlawing things have worked so well for drugs, alcohol during Prohibition, etc etc..

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
And machine guns and silencers were banned because every criminal had twenty or thirty available at all times...........

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
LoJack

One of the few accessories or add-ons I recommended to my customers during my brief stint at HD was LoJack. For $800 we'd install the system. It was well concealed (only two mechs in the shop were authorized for the install, and those were long-term employees). The first recovery occured within a month of offering them.

Unfortunately LoJack isn't available everywhere, and can't be installed on every bike. I think your best protection is a bigass cable lock through your frame and something solid or your buddy's bike. Nothing is perfect, but chances are bozos like these fokkers will pick another bike to steal.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Re: LoJack

Un-armoured cables are astonishingly easy to saw-through with one of those tiny "palm-sized" hacksaws.

Hardened chain (and un-shielded padlock shackles) practically explode beneath the jaws of a quality 15" pair of bolt-cutters.

Go for the cable that has those machined "barrels" (can't 'member the brand name) and a solid-machined, shielded-shackle lock (one with those "unpickable tumblers" net a bit more security).

Perhaps a disc-lock with alarm, as a backup.

None of that will keep your bike where you left it, if a determined thief wants it. But it will slow the ****sucker down a bit (no offense to socko).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.