Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
The problem with sportbikes is that the riding position makes you give away visibility vs. the straightup Cruiser or Naked streetbike riding position. Also the increase leverage of the wider cruiser handlebars over the sportbike's clipons give a steering advantage.

At least in my experience. Before the sprtbike mafia starts the flaming.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Point taken

Carter's entire 55MPH fiasco was a joke from beginning to end. Most eastern highways had 55mph speed limits all along, right?

The actual effect was to reduce speeds on our open western highways to ridiculously low levels. These lower speed limits caused people to drive longer hours on trips trips resulting in increased fatigue and more accidents. My drives from Salt Lake to L.A. changed form 10-11 hours to nearly 14 hours.

When Reagan rescinded these speed limits the accident rates on these highways dropped considerably, in spite of the dire predictions of all the "experts".

This leads to another question. Why are we constantly bombarded in the media with "experts" who are nearly always wrong? I think it's because most journalists have inferior educations and are actually quite ignorant, so they defer to anyone who has "credentials". These credentials are usually conferred by some Universtiy or the government. Two of the best examples of kicked-in-the-head thinking that there ever were. Thus we are constantly bombarded with data that is simply wrong.

Remember the "scientific study" that showed that sexual abuse of children had no long lasting harmful effects? As you said "figures lie and liars figure".

This "55 saves lives" was an example of an "everybody knows" fact that was completely false. But it was promoted as true because it was "logical" and "everybody knows" that "speed kills". (Tell that to someone who is being life-flighted to the hospital).

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
As I said, it's just my opinion. I simply find the sportbike position limits my visibility and is more fatiguing for me than either cruisers or standards. Someone else's experience may be quite different. I find fatigue to be the most severe factor and I simply can't find a modern sportbike that doesn't result in severe fatigue for me in a relatively short period.

I completely agree about the stupid forward controls insanity that has over taken the cruisers. My cruiser experience is mainly on Harley's Super Glides, which sport normally positioned controls and older Japanese cruisers with likewise footpegs. This insistence on forward controls is stupid. And, with the inexperienced, dangerous.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Re: Point taken

This is America. A .38 Special may be sufficient unto the task but everyone's got to show off their machoism and buy the .454 Casull, right?

Buy a 600 or 750? Heck no! What would their friends think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.