Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
More than surprising

That's a huge jump for such a short period. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a data collection change involved here.

We've discussed all the reasons for the higher accident/death rates pretty exhaustively. It seems to boil down to irresponsible/ill-informed/unprotected riders on faster and faster and faster bikes.

I wish I could help design the study plan if they decide to do one. They could use our help on this one.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: Take a look at the NHTSA study

It echos the Hurt Report perfectly, doesn't it?

The over-40 alchohol figures are scary. Alcohol and helmets alone are enough to reverse the trend. Given time, natural selection will prevail.

The studies and initiatives they propose look great to me. No hint of abolitionist tendencies or black helicopters; just what can we do to help.

Thanks for this post. Worth the MO subscription all by itself.

·
Registered
780 Posts
There are lots of entry level bikes; it's just that "real men" don't buy them.

Fashion dictates that the motorcycle is a statement, not a device for transportation. People don't seem to understand that the fun of a motorcycle has little to do with how fast it gets you from here to there. A 250 is the most anyone sane really needs; a 40 bhp 400 cc bike is reasonable overkill; a 110 bhp 600 is over the top.

Guess which one I like?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good point. When I learned to ride, in the 60s, I didn't understand or conciously use counter steering. The bike performance levels of the day kept that from being lethal, just terrifying sometimes.

The Hurt Report of 1990 reported a huge number of single vehicle accidents due to "under turning" and "off the road on corners".

With todays performance standards a rider who doesn't countersteer intuitively and, in an emergency, agressively is dead. Without training or at least instruction, and lots of practice, lack of this critical skill makes new riders way more vulnerable than they used to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.