Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Take a look at the NHTSA study

"For one thing, the 50% increase is measured since 1997 -- which was an all-time low. If you look at the graph from 1992 to 2002 it's a pronounced "V" shape. "

What's your point with this statement? I think one of the points of the artice, is that it is unusual that the fatality rates have been climbing since 97, when for years, they had been falling.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Point taken

I hear you. Havent seen the figures in several years, but overall highway deaths have been dropping every year since they started counting reliably in the 40s. Thats why I think a rise in M/C fatalities over a 5 year span is very significant.

Back in the late 80s, I did a research paper against the 55 mph speed limit. One of the big arguments for it was that it, "saves lives". Well figures lie, and liars figure. When NHTSA would make this claim, they failed to say that death rates had been decreasing every year anyways.

I just finished reading the entire report and it was very informative. I was surprised that the biggest increase in fatalities comes from single vehicle M/C accidents in RURAL areas with big engine'd bikes. Go figure! Still, it looks like alcohol impairment, and also helmet use are still the biggest factors, which we as rideres can control.

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I disagree. This purely my subjective opinion, but, I think my H-D does pretty good at a quick emergency lane change, and though the brakes lack feel, and take some effort, I think they do a pretty good job of slowing the mass down. I also ride my Harly alot more conservatively than my Kaw Concours. I feel more at risk on the Connie. I dont think I ride real aggressive on it, but definitely more than the H-D. But you do have a point on lack of protective gear on any kind of ride, and frequency of use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Easy for the uninformed to blame it on the, oh, why not the investigators. All that basic stuff as you call it IS recorded on traffic accident reports. But all that is the "what happened" of specific collisions. You can make a good database with that info, and identify new trends, but trying to figure out why those trends are happening can be a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Disturbingly misleading? I dont get it. They used an 11 year sample. Seems pretty straight forward to me. If they would have gone back further, it would have shown the same trend. M/C fatalities decreasing every year until 1998, and then rising. Seems pretty significant to me.

And why not use vehicle miles? Need to use some sort of comparison that takes into account more drivers/cars/riders/motorcycles on the road than 10-20 years ago. It aint perfect, but I dont hear you coming up with a better way. Frankly, I agree somewhat. I would like to see the M/C fatality rates based on motorcycle miles driven. That should take into account the explosion of new motorcyles coming onto the roads in the last few years. I find it interesting why they didnt use that method, but maybe they dont have an accurate guess as to that number. Or they are trying to skew the results. Who knows. Thats why it would be good to have a new complete study done.

Where do you get your info on the rest of your assertions. All traffic deaths or even car or motorcyle deaths looked at individually have been going down every year since they started keeping statistics. So I find that fairly large increases in the fatality rate for 4 straight years is very significant, and not statistically right where we should be. That is a reversal of a 50+ year trend! In fact, according to the report, the increase in M/C fatality rate has skewed the overall fatality rate (including cars) to edge higher also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Or point to more total miles driven by motorcycles each year.

Everything I have read in recent memory states that motorcycle sales have been increasing dramatically for several years now. I will have to re-read the report, but I dont think I saw anything that actually takes this important factor into account.

I mean, if total miles driven by motorcyles has increased significantly since 97, that would correlate to increases in fatalities, without necessarily increasing the fatality rate. Hmmm. Still, how do you even semi-accurately calculate total miles driven by motorcycles? Anyone out there have any idea?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Point taken

I hear ya. I have helped several people in starting to ride. For awhile, had an old beat-up 82 Yammie 650 that was a good teaching tool. Eventually, they would want to get a bike of their own, and no matter how I tried to push them towards a used mid or low displacemnt bike, they would always want the biggest, baddest bike they could or could not afford.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.