Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
The motorcycle industry, particularly HD but the Japanese makers as well, is enjoying fantastic growth the last few years.

Lotsa mid life crisises happening and splatting. Guys who may have ridden a 1974 Honda SL100 as their last bike are buying Harleys and other big bikes and "rediscovering riding".

Well, bikes of all kinds are bigger and/or more powerful than ever. It is funny. I ride my 1977 BMW R100/7 and it feels like a spindly toy compared to my '97 TL1000S. Of course the Suzuki has actual brakes that can bounce my eyeballs off the inside of my face shield with their raw power. The BMW? Scary. Sometimes I wonder how they could sell that thing with a small single disc and funky under the tank cable operated master cylinder.

Bikes and safety gear are better than ever. There are just more people riding, many of them on bikes that are over their ability levels. Given the mid life crisis making up for lost time mode, lacking perhaps some judgement. The rest of the coffins are filled with dumb kids trying to emulate the Biker Boyz. Still, the sheer mass of riders are 40 and over and on cruisers.

Me? I am 40 and never stopped riding since I began at age 12. No need for a midlife crisis when one never stopped riding :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
"There is a difference between someone who buys a liter class bike who has been riding constantly for 20 years and one who rode 20 years ago."

That, in a nutshell, I belive is the core of why this trend is occurring. I agree completely.

250 two stroke eh? Sounds like fun. I have a buddy who simply will not give up on his RZ350s. He is an odd fellow.

I think when we are young, we are drawn to high rpm and intensity. I know I was. I loved my revvy inline 4 cylinders.

Now I am driven by the primal thump of the big twins, only I like mine wrapped in sporting but not supersporting clothes. The Aprillia Tuono sure looks interesting. Explains why I love my TL so (at making some comfort mods) I guess...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.