Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2001 Concours last spring (a year ago) in North Carolina and rode it back to NYC; then my GF and I did a 9200 mile 2-up trip around the country on it in June. Connie never asked for anything other than scheduled maintenance. We had a tremendous time. Blog and pics at:

http://joepierce.org/roadtrips/aroundamerica.php

In terms of riding: I found that 300-350 mile days were comfortable; 400 mile days were do-able; 450 mile days made me feel like I was dead in the morning. Some Ironbutts will say there's nothing like a 800 mile day to make you feel alive, but they're not talking about the _next_ day's ride, IMHO.

The Concours community is basically right about this bike: she's a good compromise between size, power, and maneuverability; she's a little buzzy, and I'm always aware that she's "low-tech;" and, if you do your scheduled maintenance, she'll never ever leave you stranded. Great long-distance bike.

The GF and I are planning a trip up to the Bay of Fundy in July. ;) It's comfy 2-up, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm w/them. Do it. But it won't be as easy as they make it out to be. You're going to get a little tired and sore, especially since you're not used to the bike or riding that much. But, that's all part of the experience. Do it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Take a break every half tank. Stretch your shoulders, back, stomach and legs.

Oh, yeah. Get gas every other stop.

Have a HUGE time!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I own a Concours. Yes, do the trip! You will get a little sore, but just take a pain reliever of some sort along with you. Get the oil changed once and have a grand time. I'd plan on 4 days btw.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Take along Advil. One 800 mile day is no big issue if you can recover over the next several. However, stringing 3-4 500 to 750 mile days will make you sore in spots you never new you had. Build in some time for bad weather, road construction and illness. Something about eating away from home can stir the pot if you get my drift. Imodium really works. Take some sunscreen and put it anywhere any exposed skin pokes out. Four days of sun will cook you to bits if you don't pay attention. Make sure you have ear protection. The wind roar at 70 for four days can give you permanent hearing loss. Take along some sort of visor, shades, etc., to block low level sun and road-reflected light. Check your tire pressure before you leave and each morning there after. Poorly inflated tires on a big bike can result in complete tread removal in 2,000 miles. Install a throttle lock before you leave. Have the shop throw it in as part of the deal. The Connie will buzz a bit and will put your hands to sleep. The throttle lock will allow you to get the feeling back. Have fun, take some pictures, write it up and send it to MO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm... Let's see... You just bought a Sports Touring bike... Ride it!!! Ride back roads, secondary roads, highways and Interstates. Spend the time becoming one with your new bike. By the time you get back home, youll have a pretty good idea of what works for you and what doesn't.

Oh, and take the pain reliever BEFORE you ride, that works better than taking 'em after the aches start.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Do it. Just remember that it's going to be really really hot in Arizona. So if you don't already have a mesh jacket get one. You might plan your trip by heading north first to avoid the worst of the heat.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've ridden a Concours this kind of distance alot. That's a big ride to do in four days, but the bike won't hold you back. Make sure the tires are in good shape, the brake pads are good, the bike's had an oil change, etc. before taking off. It's a pretty bullet proof bike, so you won't be left stranded.

Get a Vista Cruise throttle lock, or at worst a Throttle Rocker, otherwise your set. Have a good ttrip.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Go to www.ironbutt.com and read their tips for long-distance riding. They specialize in endurance riding, and the tips they give on how to prepare and strategies to make a long trip work will be very useful. If you've never taken a long trip, there's probably a lot you haven't considered, and 2240 miles in 4 days is probably not realistic -- you'll beat yourself to death. Figure more like 6 days. When you ride all day, the fatigue builds each successive day. If you push yourself hard, you'll end up getting frazzled and riding fewer hours each day. There are techniques for making this work. Check out the Iron Butt site.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Don't ship. Ride!

Just be careful riding in the Southwest during the middle of the day. The Concours spews up lots of heat from the fairing and it can easily get 115 degrees in the middle of nowhere.

How many days you you take to do it depends on what kind of roads you take. If it's Interstate, you can easily do it in four days. If you want to sightsee a bit, take a few more. This will be the trip of a lifetime.

Get a tankbag to keep water within easy reach. Have some Advil handy. Wear earplugs. They cut down on fatigue. Get a good airflow-type protective jacket so you can keep the sun off of you yet still have protection. My Bates jacket is excellent.

Once you do a trip like this, riding 150 miles in a day will seem like a warm up.

Submit a couple of posts on the way and let us know how you're doing.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I suggest Gatorade instead of water. One trip I did I rode 400 miles across the desert in one day at 110 degree temperatures, drank a gallon of Gatorade and never once had to take a pi$$. Since I was on a shovelhead the rear cylinder added that extra bit of "adventure". Although I can usually do 600 mile days that heat really wears you out quicker than you might think.

It's also helpful to stop at gas stations and drench yourself in water. A water battle with a shaker top is handy to douse yourself occasionally as you ride between drenches.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
You didn't take a pi$$. It got shaken out of you and you just didn't know it.

I don't care for the taste of Gatorade. Smart Water adds electrolytes and such but it still tastes like plain old water.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.