Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Don't know, my Buell doesn't have a temp gauge

Don't know, my Buell doesn't have a temp gauge.

But I can tell you this, on a 117°F day when stuck in traffic the fan blows air around the seat area hot enough to burn through my jeans.

·
Registered
285 Posts
re: buell roasted calf

Friggin SHAZAM!

I just realized why traditional Harleys have the highway pegs that spread your legs like you're giving birth..... it's to keep your blue jeans from catching on fire!

Rob

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My trusty ST11 will toast yer legs, too.

Seems to be the way things are for full fairing bikes. Mags early reports say new gen BMW's have much improved heat control.

MCN & Rider Q & A have repeatedly confirmed that modern bikes run pretty warm.

Please thank an elected official when you get a chance.

·
Registered
540 Posts
No they don't, my Ducati gets fairly hot between the legs, my Aprilia does not, ZX9R does not. Most naked bikes don't as they breathe a bit better without the plastic.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Warmed up and running on the highway above 60mph and in air temperatures no more than 90F my bike coolant temperature is about 180F. At temperatures above 90F to about 105F the coolant temperature climbs to about 190F.

At slow speeds, less than about 40mph and hot temperatures above 95F the coolant heats up until the fan comes on at about 222F, which cools it back to about 210F. The hotter it is outside the faster this happens. However, below about 85F outside temperature the fan only comes on when trolling at very slow speeds or idling.

The fan blows the hot air around the engine and perimeter frame right into my legs and upper body at slow speeds or stopped.

Strangely enough, my Harley handles hot weather (above 100F) better than my liquid cooled sport bike. I have trouble with the Harley at temperatures below 45F, due to carburation.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Interesting. My old air/oilcooled Suzuki 1100G is without doubt the least troublesome bike I've ever owned to ride in 100+ temperatures. It simply never gets really hot and the heat doesn't blow on me much. I bet Bandits are similar.

However when the fan comes on on my Magna.....yikes! That bike is a royal pain in 95+ temperatures. Even with the fan off the rear pair of cylinders radiate enough heat to make sitting in traffic extremely unpleasant. It has so much heating trouble that I took the thermostat out completely and rigged a manual swith to run the fan constantly since it doesn't switch on until the engine gets really really hot. I thought that water-cooled bikes are supposed to handle heat better. At least that what all the techo-geniuses say.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Naked is good! On many levels, too.

Strange thing....I had a BMW R100RT for many years. One would think that ones feet & ankles would roast, but no. ???

The old RT fairing was so darn efficient the rest of you would roast due to lack of windflow even with the little vents open. Much improved after I installed a Parabellum windshield which has a pressure relief at bottom ft. .But that old RT fairing would catch crosswinds and have you wobbling like a Yucatan Plywood Peddler in Hurricane Season.

Magna, huh? One of my riding buddies rides a mid 90's Magna..purple & cream. We call it the chick bike. He is a gifted rider and can spank me at will unless I know the road perfectly and he's never seen it....ahh, talent...and the Magna has that uber sweet Viffer motor, too. A really nice ride..under rated and widely available for great prices. Responds well to the usual tire & suspension upgrades, too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
220 is normal

Hot? I just got home from a sweaty ride: 26 mile commute in 95 degree heat on an '01 VFR. The viffer is notorious for running hot. I saw 225 inching up to a stop sign behind about 20 cars at one 4-way stop. Once the bike got hot the lowest temp I saw was 206. The fan was on the last 20 miles.

I've seen 250 3 times, most recently in stop and go traffic on a hilly road on a 92 degree afternoon. (2222 in Austin for you Texans)

The viffers have funky side mounted radiators that don't handle anything below 80 mph well.

And yes, my legs and nuts FRY. Cagers must think I'm some sort of retarded stunter, riding along standing in the pegs to keep from sterilizing myself.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bandit's Run Cool

My Bandit 600 handles heat with no problem. On hot days I'd rather ride it than my VFR. The air/oil cooling and generous fins seem to handle heat with no problem. No noticeable heat on my legs or crotch, and nary a hickup from the carbs.

I've heard it suggested that the Honda V-4's are so compact, with a low ratio of surface area to mass, that they can't ditch the heat effectively. The rear cylinders especially get no airflow and have the exhaust pipes snugged up right against the engine. I've considered sending my headers out for the jet hot treatment to help prevent re-radiating heat from the pipes back to the engine.

A properly designed water cooled engine will run in a narrower temperature range. Unfortunately the Honda engineers might have outsmarted themselves with the V-4's.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: 220 is normal

My Ducati ST2 hits 200F only in the worst traffic snarls on hot days, but the fairing keeps the worst of it away from my fragile carcass. Apart from that, the motor runs between 154-165F whether the ambient temperature is near freezing or roasting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.