Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Thank you sir, thank you. If you want even more poop on what happened right before the cursed event (with pictures and everything) see this month's off-road.com, hit the dirtbike section & scroll down some.

What are you riding now? We should go for a putt sometime...just not to Adelanto.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I must say, Good Show and all that. A nicely written piece. Reminds me of my misadventures in campaigning a Spitfire in Solo II.

It is good to see that you were not just bluffing about dueling CL350s. I, on the other hand, do not have any spare CLK350s taking up space in my backyard. So, we will have to go with your original proposal and ignore my hyperbolic 'upping of the ante.'

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
It's great to see you have your own spot on off-road.com.

I love older bikes. Problem is; I am a complete train wreck when it comes to a wrench. And it seems combining the two is a rather hideous idea.

Good luck next year in the hopes that you can avoid the art of Gonzo journalism in which the story is about missing the story :)

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
That the same Jody guy that was just starting out when you used to read my MXA's in the compartment? I didn't like him then either......

Props to you for still racing, a Toyota induced knee injury in '81 has kept me off dirt bikes, I even had to sell my dads 380 CZ a couple of years ago. A dozen miles of trail riding on that and my knee would look like a melon followed by a few weeks of eating Ibu's like popcorn...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
When I was stuck in traffic I was thinking about about just that. Un-load the bike and ride the last 35 miles to the race.

But by the time I'd have gotten to Adelanto the tank would have been about half-full (vs. half empty) so I just sat in the truck fuming and cursing.

Some kids in a minivan next to me were getting a big kick out of me pounding my fists on the steering wheel every 20 minutes or so.

Like little monkeys...

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Your choice:

We can either all chip in to get you a room at the nearest hotel* for you to stay at the night before the race so you don't miss it, or...

...I can ship you a hollowed out bamboo shoot with a half a dozen tranq darts to shoot through passing car windows for next years trip.

*If, like in AZ this place is in the middle of nowhere, how about some nice REI camping gear :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
MsC, thanks for reminding me why i do not try to race. Reminds me of the time i drug SRX to Willow after weeks of prep fight traffic get there just in time gear up sign up get halfway round turn 2 and bike dies. Runs in pits fine. what gives? Repeat... get home and see ignition wire pinched betw. frame and tank which only shorts out when lying atop tank...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great story! Very well written.

One suggestion: since SoCal traffic is capable of developing a traffic jam at any hour of the day or night, why not stretch things out by going up to Adelanto (or at least to Hesperia) the night before? I know, I know, it adds the cost of a motel and meals, etc. But what's that compared to what you've thrown away on entry fees and prep for races you never ran?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Most of the time I stay in a buddy's motorhome, or freeze in my truck-tent contraption designed especially for the AGP. But that's when I've actually made it to the event with a running bike. Since 1992 I've entered in the AGP, and actually raced it four times. Not a good average...and rumor has it that was the last one. No more AGP? Gone like Corriganville, Elsinore...Viewfinders...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Racing an SRX is kind of like racing a DT1 except you have two more strokes to go bad on you.

Maybe next time hook up the igniiton to your shorts. Eliminate the middle man.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
there will be no next time dammit. Option 2, which i chose sunday a.m., was to sit on couch with coffee and remote and watch world superbikes from phillip island. good racing man...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Sounds like the flat tire saved you. Even if you'd gotten there on time you probably wouldn't have been able to race.

Jody W. - reminds me of the moron who used to announce the Speedway at Orange County raceway. What was his name?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.