Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't worry. In 1977 took my father-in-laws 1962 Honda Superhawk that had been sitting out in the weather for a couple of years, cleaned the fuel system, changed the oil and battery and rode it 1100 miles to my home in California. I had some problems, like a fuse that kept blowing because of worn insulation on a wire I couldn't find. But nothing related to having set a long time and having low mileage.

In 2002 I bought a 1995 Aprilia RS250 with 1900 miles on it. I've put 14,000 on it now and haven't done anything but change oil and sparkplugs.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
You're right. A few months back I bought a DT1MX from someone who left it outside for 20 or so years.

Cleaned the points and the carb and it started on the 3rd kick.

Of course it blew up about 10 minutes later, but at least it started. Rust was the only thing holding it together.

If you did that with an old Triumph you couldn't do it. Well maybe, but if was pre-unit the generator would blow up and shoot parts across the garage. Don't ask me how I know this...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Boy, that's a good link, thanx. Ya know, just came by a WWII 3 phase portable (maybe) generator that uses a small Continental opposed 4 cylinder aircraft engine with rope start.

Gonna try and get it running this weekend. Has a little dinky downdraft carb that looks like it came off a lawnmower. It also has a big yellow sticker on it that says "WEAR HEARING PROTECTION" . I guess the neighbors will be peeking out of windows again and calling the cops "He got a plane or something back there...!!"

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Well with that little tiny motor, there's not much to wear out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes there could be problems. In 1988, I bought an 81 Honda CX500 with just 8,100 miles. Seller said he hadn't ridden it for 4 years. Problems that were not apparent at first, but turned up soon after I bought it - 1. mufflers had rusted out from the inside due to moisture collecting and never getting dried out, 2. rubber seal on rear hub for shaft drive had dried out, causing gear oil to blow out all over tire, I nearly crashed because of this.

Still, once I got these problems straightened out, it proved to be a very reliable bike and best value for money ever (paid $800, about $300 for new mufflers and hub seal, but never had serious trouble again for 30,000+ miles.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.