1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Softer driveways!

·
Registered
30 Posts
This stuff happens. One of the guys I work with had a brother-in-law who was killed when his MC slipped on some sand as he was parking it . When he fell his head (helmetless) struck the curb.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Oregon used to have the full serve pumps too...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Here's tragic: I insured a guy that has been riding the better part of 7-9 years. He's a "good 'ol boy" style of guy that is a short order cook. He finishes his shift at the (don't laugh) Waffle House and is waiting on his brand new bride to end her shift. While waiting he decides to do a little overdue maintenance on the bike. Pulls the thing onto the sidewalk. Positions the thing over two joining (but angled) pieces of the sidewalk and begins to drain the oil. Oil drained, he somehow offsets the balance of the bike (while he's under it) and it falls on him. This happened out of sight of normal foot traffic and it was several minutes before anyone noticed the accident. Crushed his ribcage he suffocated. One of the weirdest things (and saddest because he was truly a nice guy) I've ever had happen to a customer.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
How many riders must die before...... (Blowin in the Wind)

How many riders must go down on their head

Before you get them a lid?

Yes, 'n' how many skulls must the asphalt crack

Before the GPTB learns a new way?

Yes, 'n' how many times must a rider die

Before they're forever banned?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,

The answer is blowin' in the wind.

kpaul sez

Wear a full face helmet anytime you are on your bike with the motor running..

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: How many riders must die before...... (Blowin in the Wind)

What if I shut the engine down to save gas while coasting down the hill?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

Good catch.. I had to that when I wrecked my bike..i.e. I had to get to a wide spot so I could shift my bike by hand into first as the lever was broken.

·
Registered
285 Posts

Speaking of the Darwin Awards.....

(grin)

~Rob

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know of at least one motorcycle dealer who was killed the same way here in Atlantic Canada as he took a bike from the front to the back of the establishment. Didn't bother to get a helmet! In this case, and many others, the key additional factor is that the vehicle is new to the driver involved in the incident. I don't think its dumb enough to be Darwin award material. It's something many of us do from time to time. Although I'm familiar with my bike, I'll not be doing it any more.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

"Yes, 'n' how many skulls must the asphalt crack

Before the GPTB learns a new way?"

From the article: "Marvin Thorton was parking his new sports bike"

Add one more characteristic to GPTB: "Sportbike rider."

Damn, that list keeps growing.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I got to see stuff like this every day at the FD. I suppose he would have died earlier if he wasn't riding one of those 'safe' sportbikes. Shyt happens folks. Don't laugh too hard. You never know when your number is going to be punched.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Honestly, could any story containing the words "new sport bike", "carport" and "Mississippi" end in anything but bizarre tragedy?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Not just helmets. Govt approved safety rails similar to parallel bars that the bike has to fit between so it can't fall over. Anyone who refuses to install these bars will be denied any medical care if they fall over. The fascisti will feel better knowing that their govt funded national veteran's administration style health care system is properly funded and not unduly burdened by people who refuse to totally conform to the norm. This way we will have universally terrible healthcare for everyone. Including Nancy Pelosi and Algore.

Come to think of it anyone who rides a motorcycle at all is outside of the comfortably conformist mainstream center.

I guess we have no choice but to ban motorcyles altogether. They are too risky and drive up everyone's premiums.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts

I was speaking in general terms of course. How are gas prices doing?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

That's one solid torpedo hit and the SS Kook is sinking fast.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.