Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree, I remember the last wide open Formula USA race at Willow Springs, when Richie Oliver riding a 250 GP Yamaha spanked the likes of Graves on his fire breathing monster, and a couple of turbo charged CBR 900 RR's from Texas! What a show. I also remember Baldwin, Sam McDonald and Dave Roper blasting around Bridge Hampton in The rain, and never letting off the gas going into turn one, what a display of balls! And on period tires, no less.

Those were the days. Don't get me wrong, todays racers are a great bunch (remember DuHamel winning Daytona with a broken leg?) and racing has come a long way, but I get nostalgic some times, I guess it comes with getting old.

Hey kpaul, they posted your entry, what's the secret?

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Peter Doyle (Mladin's crew chief) speaks.

"Seriously though the future here in the states will probably be along the lines of 600 Superbikes as they are unfortunately trying to make classes fit the race tracks as they don't seem to be able to get many of the tracks to improve.

Although I can see the AMA are in a difficult position I for one totally disagree with taking the easy way out by just reducing capacity. I believe riders want to ride the big bikes, people want to see the big bikes, and manufacturers and dealers want to sell the big bikes. I can't imagine going to the Pinnacle of American motorcycle racing and watching, Formula Extreme 600's, Supersport 600"s, Production 600's and maybe they could throw in a de-tuned from standard 600 race just for the hell of it. The one thing you will achieve with reducing capacities is to further reduce the number of good American riders you will see on the World stage. "

click here for more

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Will the stands at Daytona continue to remain empty? Maybe they should offer free tickets to any European willing to come over here to watch motorcycle racing in the US. Obviously, we're not much interested.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Sounds like the 800 lb gorilla Hand of Honda at work once again... maybe they will all take each other out and a Buell will at last win the Greatest Motorcycle Race in the World!

when will we have video of new Triumph thing doing smokey burnout in MO parking lot? that or Sister Mary Kim's cleavage...

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Michael Jordan's recent motorcycle school experience to air on 2 Wheel Tuesday

"In the interview, Jordan talks with 2 Wheel Tuesday host Greg White about riding motorcycles as a child, his desire to improve as a rider and his future as a team owner in the AMA.

"I came in this year in an experimental stage, just to see how people would respond," Jordan explained to SPEED Channel. "Now, I am hooked. Next year, I am looking to expand the team, looking to compete -- I want to win. I really want to make a statement about my support of this sport. … I want to make a solid commitment through Montez and whoever else I want to sponsor. I want to be involved in this. I think it's fun and I think it's a great opportunity for corporations. … Every time I go to the race, I have a ball, so I look to be around for awhile."

click here for more

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Re: Let's take a vote! Sister Mary Kim's cleavage or a Smokey 2 liter Brit burn out?

I want to see a Triumph Rocket vs VMax

[*] Oops be done already Motorcyclist Sept issue

I want to see a bike review of the new BMW K-Bike

[*] Oops be done already by Motorcycle Daily

How about a real life review of the 2004 VFR

[*] Oops be done already by Motorcycle USA

·
Registered
579 Posts
The Corprate mentality is no where more visible than NASCAR.

What used to be a bunch of rabble-rousing moonshine runners is now a bunch of yankee pretty-boys. Jeff Gordon... Jimmy Johnson... Makes me sick everytime I see them.

Like watching a Leonardo DiCaprio movie.

Racing is fun because its not predictable, and because those involved are of a rare breed.

As it becomes more regulated and more controlled, the personalities become more watered down, and the product...

becomes more and more boring.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: Let's take a vote! Sister Mary Kim's cleavage or a Smokey 2 liter Brit burn out?

I wanna see the K head to head with the ZZR-12 and the XX.

I wanna see the GSXR-750.

I wanna see real honest to God dual-sport duel between the DL, the KLR, and the big honda.

·
Registered
579 Posts
HEY!

I'm riding a 2003 Mille from Morgantown to Pittsburgh this saturday. How about I write a review and take some pictures? That way, at least we stop looking at those danged Yamahas. I afraid those pics are starting to burn my screen.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i agree this has honda written all over it. dangerous ploy though. they will have a leg up for sure for next year. but now the other factories have incentive to compete, just no real time to develop a 600 superbike. i wonder if they will do it like honda. make the buying public buy superstout, heavy bikes so they have a decent chassis for racing.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: HEY!

Thats a great idea. Someone has got to do it. By the way how many more votes do you think they need to start on that sport tourer article. Maybe we should all vote 100 times for one of the bikes (I don't care witch) and that will get them going.

That sounds like it could be a fun ride. Are you by yourself, or do you have other bikes going to. Maybe if you can find someone with a 911 you can write 2 posts!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.