Motorcycle Forums banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Some pics here as well.:

• http://www.400greybike.co.uk/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=34755

• Looks like a great package. Will the 3 cylinders be acceptable to the conservative Americano buyers?I doubt it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Guarandamntee ya the "musicians' sleeves" have fringe!

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Yeah. I sat on it a bit. Too bad they didn't put the Bandit style top triple crown on the SV1000S. It's not like the bike is actually a repliracer or anything. It should be set up more like a sport tourer, not an RC51. I'd consider owning an SV1000S myself if it weren't for the lousy ergos. With the fairing lower its actually a pretty sharp looking bike.

But I guess the clipons have more cool factor down at the Burger Barn.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Sorry, but I have it on superiorgeniusexpertopinion that you aren't really in pain if you go to the gym regularly. Must be alien mind rays from the Bush administration that cause that pain. Since he's busy in Lousiana causing hurricanes and stopping the mayor from evacuating N'arlins he may have forgotten to turn the mind ray machine back on. Now's yer chance!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Yeah, I think it's real purty with the fairing lowers, too. I also think it's really underrated. I was talking to the owner of my local Suzi dealer and he admitted that they screwed the pooch on the ergos. He said as soon as he sat on one he knew that Suzuki got it wrong.

Totally agree with a more ST riding position. Put the clipons on small risers, change the angle, drop the pegs a smidge and it probably feels like a different bike. Hell, just changing the angle of the bars would probably help a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought a SV1000S, it is more sport than tour. I got the red one cause I am a squid poser. There are some aftermarket solutions to you old fogies that want the looks/performance of a sportbike but the comfort of a goldwing. I bet you guys would ***** about the taxes if you won the lottery!

:p

Twitchy

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
wrong phraseology

The correct one would be: "You'd complain if you were hung with a new rope."

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Um, Twitchy, I ride a Daytona 955i, which is more sport than your sport. It's bone stock. The ergos are probably every bit as aggressive as the SV but the bar/peg/seat relationship works better, at least for me. Oh, and I ride it practically every day.

I like the SV1K a lot. I just don't like the ergos too much. I thought a Buell XB12R was more comfortable. Ever squeeze your a$$ onto one of those? I thought it was great for a tiny bike.

And I ain't that old. But I am getting there. Seruzawa, now he's acient.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I don't understand why it takes Truimph using a 675 engine to be competitive with the Japanese 600's. Kawasaki cheats too, but atleast they make the 599cc RR and race it. I do like the styling, but its nearing the 700 mark. Its eyes or headlights look pretty neat too. I'd like to see it beat a Honda 600rr in race trim (and the Triumph would be in race trim too), then maybe it will receive some respect.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Scrambled Turnips

It's like the print was made with the negative backwards. The chain and the exhaust are on the wrong side, but at least they're together.

The thing is cute. Pretty much the only thing i'd consider trading my airhead beemers in on. You couldn't ride that bike without a smile on your face.

I had a Pacifico last night in honor of you having beers with Super Hunky. How cool is that?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If anyone took the time to notice, about 6 months ago Triumph said they weren't wooried about racing anymore. They want a unique brand that doesn't have to worry about head to head competition. That's why they pulled out of the BSB supersport series. In a nutshell, they are returning to the roots of triples and twins and could care less what the Jap companies do. They want their own brand and customer not someone looking for the biggest, baddest, fastest bike. They want riders- not squids.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok the SV1000 is not a cruiser, you aren't supposed to support your upper body on the bars for 3 hours straight. If you grip the tank with your thighs to support your upper body, this will take the pressure off of your wrists and shoulders, and you will not experience any of these problems. I used to have an RC51 and those ergos were racy, but no problems here. I rode a friends 02 SV650 and thought I was back on my old yamaha Radian 600 :D

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Don't be disrecpectful. I paid my dues in the Navy when I was a sponger on a gun crew. Those splinters while trading broadsides can be a bytch.

Ask sarnali.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Scrambled Turnips

If you followed it up with a couple shots of Huradura Silver, way cool.

That scrambler's the coolest bike in Triumphs lineup for my money. Even more retro than the Bonnie.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Good point and I can do that on other bikes like a CBR1000F or an FJ1200 but for some reason the SV just doesn't allow me to do that. Having had a semi-serious back injury (not m/c related) forces me to make compromises.

I like to finish 300-500 mile days in some other semblance tha a baked pretzel.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I drive past the gym two or three times a day and my wrists don't hurt. I put 250 miles on my piped and jetted Thruxton yesterday and the only thing that hurts is my face from grinning like a maniac.....

I figure I'm crankin' out a blazing 73 horse's or so. Gotta' keep a tight rein on them ponies, so I lift weights to increase my strength. Most of the time I stick to 12 oz's, every once in a while I man-up and go fer' 25.4's

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
You're right about the Bandit top clamp, I gave the SV a serious look because the motor would have to be fun, but the ergos on it are off by a mile. Drop the pegs and put flat bars on it and they'd sell like hot-cakes.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts