Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For $9-$11k you should be able to get a nice used Monster S4R. Go for it! Your wife will like it as well.

Oh .. first post ..

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Used GS, you may even be able to find a left over 1150 laying around somewhere new with a little searching. The GS is the swiss army knife of motorcycles. Tour anywhere you want to go on earth.

Then again you could buy my 02 K12RS and I could run out and get my new GS Adventure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just bought a dr 650 dual sport for a second bike and I can't wipe the sh*t eatin grin of my face. If you not 6' plus they are easy to lower. You'll have about 4-5 grand left over after you buy a new seat(a must).

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Seeing as you already have a speedy sport bike, look into getting an old air head GS. They are MUCH lighter than the subsequent oil head models and you can take the wife with you if she so desires. With the low buy in price you should have plenty of cash left over to accessories it as you see fit. I've had mine for 15 years and it always brings a smile to my face when I go exploring on it.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
1993 GS/PD euro spec (higher comp, bigger bings) staintune, 19k miles, solo seat, black/green, dual spark conversion done by San Jose BMW, luggage. $6300obo.

I tell ya, I'm working this deal hard.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Go with a K1200r. You get all the go of the K1200s with less plastic. You owner a BMW so I don't have to say more. Dealers are letting Demo models go for $12K or under in some cases.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, it makes sense to get something that's very different from a sportbike, right?

What you should get kind of depends where you live and what sort of riding you like to do. I have a '00 Daytona, and since I live in NYC, I recently got a used Suzuki DR-Z400S as a city bike. You can't beat a light dual-sport on bumpy, potholed city streets.

If you live anywhere near off-road trails, a DR-Z is a no-brainer, too.

But if you like long trips with the wife, a used FJR or GS would be a good choice.

The bottom line is: since you already have a sportbike, get something very different from what you already have. There is no point in getting a Monster or Speed Triple when you have a Daytona.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My advice as a former BMW motorcycle tech is to avoid Beemers like the plague. They are overpriced even for used ones and not reliable at all. I can't even count all the final drive units I have replaced on "low mileage" BMW's. Stick with a Japanese dual sport. You can't go wrong there and you will have enough money left over to buy your wife something really nice for being so cool.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.