Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you clamp an iPhone or other smartphone on your handle bars, and use Google Maps, Apple Maps, GAIA or other mapping apps, and would rather be on a twisty road than a hi way, very interested in how you deal with cellular coverage blackholes? Do you preload or download maps for the areas you're traveling? Does that work? Have you ever gotten into a jam with no cellular coverage? When riding in the boonies, what do you do? Are cellular coverage gaps a big problem, something you can live with, or a nuisance in any way? When riding with others, do some have coverage and others not? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Don

· Super Moderator
1,089 Posts
It is NOT usually a problem.

Since the GPS phone apps will load the map is fairly large chunks, you have to go a LONG way with no signal before you will "outride" the map that is loaded. It does not need a cell signal all of the time.

Then......you should use the GPS as an aid and not as a replacement for previewing your route and having some general idea of what roads you will be on.......or what towns you will be going through.

Although I have never had reason or opportunity to test it, I would hope that the app will download a new section of map well BEFORE you hit the edge of the present one.

If you do often "explore" in areas where there are vast areas of little or no cell coverage, a "real" GPS would be well worth the relatively small investment.

· Registered
1996 Honda Shadow 1100
111 Posts
I haven't dealt with this on my bike yet,
but in my car when driving in the Appalachian mountains here in North Georgia, if I think I'm going to lose cell phone coverage in map service I will sometimes take a screenshot of the critical area while I'm still in a place where my GPS map is available. I'll often take two screenshots --a wide view and then a zoomed-in view of the most critical area where I need to make a turn, or maybe the exact location of my destination.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts