Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Deal longride. The NPS will always error on the side of caution. In two days everything will be open and this will be a non story. Obviously you have never lived for any length of time in the west. Flash flooding occurs from time to time and roads close. National Parks can close from forest fires, flooding, avalanches etc. I was once on a forest fire where we had 100 degree weather one day flash floods the next and the only way out was by air. If you (longride) would ever venture out of Chicago you might learn something.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Dang, Kpaul, that's quite some vitriol you have brewing there.

What you're saying is true about the west, but come on brother, take the high road.

I know full well about your frustrations with what gets posted and what doesn't, but it is unfair to heap all of the blame on Longride.

Remember, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The CHP is dammed if the do and dammed if they don't. They'd really catch the flack from the media and heaven knows what kind of civil suits would start flying if they didn't err on the side of caution.

In my few personal experiences with the CHP they have always been very courteous and professional so I'm loath to heap criticism on them. Now if you want to talk about the LAPD.....

You need to see what desert flash floods can do. They can be quite spectacular. Never camp near a drywash in the desert if there is any hint of thunderstorm activity.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
KP must have gotten kicked out of his personality training courses.

Sad that he has no friends that he must constantly troll flamebait here to get anyone to respond to him.

I can't imagine DV has that many visitors this time of year. I'm sure closing the roads won't be a real hardship.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The CHP is awesome

The CHP is one of the highest rated law enforcement agencies in the country. Of all the tickets I've ever received (and there have been a few), the most accurate and professionally handled were from CHP officers.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Re: The CHP is awesome

Sean, while I would agree with you that the CHP tend to dole out tickets with a robotic like efficiancy and courtesy, these mindless automatons also are willing to dole out citations for the sole purpose of revenue generation without so much as a thought if their state sponsered meddling is merited. I have recieved tickets for 65 in a government mandated 55 that used to be 70 and now is 70, all under the guise of public safety.

The CHP is notorious here in Nothern Kalifornia for pulling over hispanic looking males on the I 5 freeway for such obviously trumped up reasons such as tailgating at 4 in the morning, or a crack in the windshield, for the sole purpose of looking up their collective ass with a microscope in the hope of finding drugs.

The CHP's willingness to engage in seatbelt and speed crackdowns wherein random drivers are ticketed for 80 in a 70 on the uncrowded freeways of the north state where at times 100 mph in a reasonable speed, is further evidence of their willingness to act as the state gestapo enforcing the great boobacracy's cause de jour all in the name of the "public" good.

As C.S. Lewis said "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." It wouldn't bother me one wit if these uniformed do gooders disapeared tomorrow. VWW

·
Registered
409 Posts
Seruzawa, dude, you are so right. CHP isn't really a problem. They're actually pretty cool. The ones I have spoken with anyway (and no not when getting a ticket).

It is truly the LAPD, and if I may add, L.A. County Sherriffs, that really worry me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yow!

Here I was feeling good about the CHP.

An excellent argument. Having spent several years in Northern [K]alifornia, I can attest to its veracity.

Fantastic C.S. Lewis quote, and one that really makes the wheels in my head turn. Wow, very interesting moral argument of why capitalism is the lesser evil between it and Communism.

Though I understand that it is the message which is more important than the messenger, I must state that I have some distaste for C.S. Lewis. I have found his books brilliant, but I have also found some of his imagery to be utterly offensive. I understand where he is coming from given his theological background, but they make my blood boil.

Anyhoo....

Good point.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Great, the state posts artificially low limits so their minions can hide behind bushes to collect extra taxes from the working man to feed the belly of gov't...and you approve.

Hopefully, there will be more BMVs before our greedy gov't bankrupts the country Soviet style.

WTH, at that point at least all the traffic cops will have to find jobs. And so goes the balance of nature.

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Excellent Point CHP is the best

"The CHP is dammed if the do and dammed if they don't. They'd really catch the flack from the media and heaven knows what kind of civil suits would start flying if they didn't err on the side of caution" Exactly.

"In my few personal experiences with the CHP they have always been very courteous and professional so I'm loath to heap criticism on them. Now if you want to talk about the LAPD"

When I was young my mom was taking us kids without Dad to California to visit my aunt. The car broke down and a female CHP officier stopped and lended a hand. CHP is always the model people talk about as a model for other states.

"You need to see what desert flash floods can do. They can be quite spectacular. Never camp near a drywash in the desert if there is any hint of thunderstorm activity." Good advice. We once had to convince this couple from the Mid-west to move their RV out of a dry wash oncel. Until I saw a flash flood in person I was really unappreciative.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

The CHP did not mandate nor did they post that 55mph speed limit.

I have no problem with speeding (obviously) However, if the currently posted speed is 55 and I get a ticket for 60, the ONLY person that I can be upset with is myself. The CHP enforces the current laws on the books efficiently and for the most part curteously.

Complaining that they don't look the other way when you are driving reasonable and prudent (but above the posted limit) is just sour grapes. If they catch you for exceeding a posted speed, it is YOUR fault.

I see it as a game, it is my job to go as fast as I can without getting caught or posing an undue hazard to my fellow motorists. It is THEIR job to catch me when I break a law (wether or not that law is "fair" is not their problem) -Sean

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

When I say "catch you" or "without getting caught" I did NOT mean running from the cops. My porly chosen words were meant to imply that it is my/your job to see them and reduce your speed before they get a chance to record your speed/actions and cite you for it. -Sean

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

Wow. Chill dude. I've had reasons to deal with police departments as a function of a non-profit social reform group I volunteer for. The vast majority of policemen are decent people. Sure many are on power trips, but what kind of people do you think it takes to do the sort of job they are often forced to do?

You have to seperate the police who actually do police work from the bureaucrats who wear the uniforms but are politicians who set the policies. And the whole issue of the insane unwinnable and fascist drug war is another subject entirely.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Incriminate who? There are no names posted on those videos. We sincerely appreciate the generous video donations from helpful MOrons. -Sean

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

"The CHP did not mandate nor did they post that 55mph speed limit." What kind of justification is that Sean? I've got news for you, The Gestapo didn't mandate the policy of rounding up various ethnic groups and sending them to concentration camps, all for the government goal of improving society. Did that absolve them from any culpability? Before you go off half ****ed about the diference of the degree of malfeasence between the CHP and the Gestapo think about this, tyranny served up with a smiling face, but with the veiled threat of violence, and the tyranny of jack booted thugs breaking your door down in the middle of the night to enforce government mandated prohibitions is a bridge that the CHP have already crossed.

If you think that I dispise all policemen you are wrong. My own step father was a 30 year veteran of the LAPD, and I loved him as much as my father. Later in life he admitted to me that he regreted enforcing some of the laws that he did, and wouldn't have if he had to do it over. If good people such as your self just treat the enforcement of stupid laws as a "game" it won't be long untill you are my age, and wondering where the country you grew up in went. VWW

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.