Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Three big corner cutting areas have been exhaust, suspension, and handlebars. Everything else should be top-notch so you don't have to go searching for turn signals, mirrors, controls, much less a saddle.

In a way, exhaust, suspension, and handlebars are a good thing to make disposable since they are ripe for customization. Why make them too nice when they are going to be thrown out anyway? However, I now appreciate how manufacturers have improved stock handlebars (esp on MX bikes); after all, most customers don't even know what kind of bend they want to buy anyway. As for exhaust, just a few months ago I would have assumed manufacturers must make heavy, cheap, disposable exhausts in order to meet government requirements; but now that I've seen how good the stock exhaust is on an MV Agusta, it makes me wonder why all the manufacturers don't just step up and get it right the first time. On the off-road side, dirt bikes don't have the same stringent tests to pass, so they should have outstanding exhaust systems from the get-go. KTM was a leader here in years past.

On to suspension. One could argue that due to wide ranging rider weights, suspension absolutely must be customized in order to work properly, and so therefore it is a great place to cut costs. I disagree. While I agree valving and spring rates should be customized for each rider (no matter what kind of riding we're talking about), I would like to see top-notch internals, so that all a tuner needs to do is rearrange the shim stack-- no need for trick pistons and other parts. Most importantly, I would like to see it become standard practice for manufacturers to sell bikes with the correct spring rate from the get-go. So when you pick up your new bike, whether it's a KX250F or a CBR600RR or a new Softail Deuce, you have the option right then and there of what springs to install at no extra charge. Most people would go with stock springs, of course, but for those that need to go stiffer or softer, the swap should be complimentary.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.