Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My next bike: CRF450 with 17's front and back, metzy sportecs, just enough lights to make it legal, and a skid plate on the tail:). Anybody wanna muse on how fun THAT would be for downtown KC?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My next dream bike: RC51 with no plastic, MX bars, extra-long frame sliders, skid plate on the tail, open cans, sticky front, hard compound touring rear. What do y'all think of that?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, It's About Time!

Finally! Kudos to Red Bull/KTM for taking the first big step and leading the way.

You'll need to get some firsthand trackside interviews, Sean. Maybe enter a race or race the series.

Singles and Twins Forever!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Well, It's About Time!

Second that!

Glad to see that those who were posting here that the AMA was limiting displacement to 450cc were only partially right. 2 classes makes sense. Sure would not make any sense to exclude those makes like KTM who basically made the class!

Bob

Singles and Twins Forever!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Pity the poor guy that modifies his bike and has it's displacement turn out to be between 450cc and 490cc. I guess he'll wind up racing himself! VWW

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ignoramoose

I am ignorant. I have heard only the most sketchy of info. about this supermoto stuff.

I understand that most of the bikes are converted from dirt bikes. (And I still don't understand the differece between supercross, motocross, dirtbikes, and such. Why does Honda make, like, four different bikes with roughly the same displacement/features?)

But some write-up in RiDE sometime last year made me want one of these supermoto things. So I ask you, which brand makes one of these new-fangled thingies straight from the factory, or do they all have to be converted from dirty-type bikes?

I understand precisely NONE of this off-road/dirt/-cross bike stuff so if someone could please be patient and help out the poor Head, he would be grateful.

·
Registered
356 Posts

i would imagine they would let lesser displacememnts race in the 490 class.....

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
CR500 + Supermoto

Unfortunately, though easily the most powerful and one of the lightest of all the Supermotos, a well tuned CR-500 still won't hook up and squirt off a dirty corner like a 4-stroke. If it was pure roadracing though they'd all be toast!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Gabe Gets Mentally Motarded

I just bought a Derbi SM50. It's a 50cc supermotard with sticky 17" rubber, Paoli suspension and a smokin' 8hp motor that can just about beat a Honda civic up to 35 mph.

It stoppies near-vertical at 15 mph, weighs 180 pounds, and can make up to 23 hp if you throw a couple of grand at it.

I'm going to do the 18hp kit and go nuts this summer on some of the many go-kart tracks Califorinia is blessed with. Getting slowly drunk while riding an overpriced hog in a slow formation with a pack of overwieght geriatrics is much more fun, I'm sure, but what can you do?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: CR500 + Supermoto

That brings up a good question... are 2-strokes even going to be allowed in this new series? The only quote I saw that mentioned motor configuration was in reference to every manufacturer having a 4-stroke in the 450cc range.

That would be a shame b/c even if they're harder to ride, it sure would be cool to see some out there ripping it up! Beyond that, it would help the bucks-down little guy inasmuch as at least he wouldn't have to spend huge $$ to get competitive power (tractability aside).

-James

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am glad to see that there is an unlimited class. It would have been really short-sighted of the AMA to exclude this class, especially due to the fact that the World Championship is an unlimited format. Maybe this unlimited component will spur the Japanese to update their big-bore singles. Or... I haven't seen the AMA rules, but I think that the ACU in europe allows ANYTHING up to 1000ccs (I think there is some guy running a Triumph Tiger in the UK). SV650 Supermoto anyone?

·
Registered
230 Posts
A guy brought a SV650 with moto-x bars to our supermoto races. he went out for two practice laps before he gave up.

Open class dirtbikes with street tires just plain kick the snot out of sportbikes when the going gets really twisty.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: AMA not leaders

I agree about AMA not being leaders in promoting supermoto, but in fairness, Hadji didn't say they were -- he said "kudos to KTM/Red Bull"

AMA not consulting local/regional groups is, unfortunately, typical of what AMA pro racing does in other venues.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Gabe Gets Mentally Motarded

Now that sound like fun. I assume that the 18 hp kit is includes a larger bore cylinder (probably 80cc?).

Does this thing have a luggage rack so you can bungie on the brain tank?

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.