Motorcycle Forums banner

Distracted Driving

16K views 91 replies 30 participants last post by  Dangerousdave_2 
This morning, just up the street from my office, a sport bike rider was splattered on the road, front forks and wheel were squashed back past the frame. I checked our local newpaper's website at lunch, and it appears the driver of the car he T-boned was coming out of the donut shop, and claims "she never saw the motorcycle." The rider is listed as "critical but stable." Maybe she was eating, I don't know. It's hard enough to be seen on my bike without all the crap in the car... In Europe they have no cup holders in their cars. The idea of eating and drinking while driving is just weird to them. I know here in South Florida we believe in loud pipes. Say what you want, but I know without a doubt that I don't get "lane changed" on by cagers as much now as when I was running a stock exhaust on my HD. Even my sportbike buddies agree with me on that score.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that somebody would find it unbelievable that not all riders think you have to despise other riders because they happen to ride a bike that's different from theirs. My sport bike buddies feel exactly the same way as I do, so you'll have to ban them for their loud pipes too. I've been riding for over 30 years. I'll meet you on the track any day. You're actually right on one point: ******** and bluehairs are all over the place here. Another great reason to make sure they hear me coming. "Situational awareness"...works great for me, how about the a-hole who changes lanes into my bike? Raising his situational awareness is exactly what I'm trying to do. Thanks for making my point for me!

Roger that! I was super happy when I had my 02 Honda VFR and the '77 FXS. I had to sell the FXR to a friend, but occasionally I swap bikes with my buddy and co-worker who has a Honda 954RR. It's a blast for both of us; we get to go from one extreme to the other. There's nothing like the feel of a sub 10 second 1/4 mile, and there's nothing like the feel of cruising down the road on a solid mount, pushrod v-twin. It's all good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.