Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S83 1400. The owner put a crossover pipe on but did not re-jet the carbs. Needless to say, she runs quite hot. My question is, if I remove the baffles will that resolve the heat problem. The pipes were already blue and gold when I got the bike.. I did order a jet kit about a year ago but still waiting on it. There are two bike shops near me and both tell me I could be waiting a long time for the parts.

·
Super Moderator
960 Posts
After-market pipes often are "single walled" with no heat shields and they will discolor with normal operating temperatures.

What exactly do you mean by a "crossover pipe" ?
I assume that means a whole new exhaust from the header on back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a crossover pipe is a section of pipe to move the muffler from one side of the bike to the other side so both mufflers are on the same side. In doing so, that creates more back-pressure.

·
Super Moderator
960 Posts
a crossover pipe is a section of pipe to move the muffler from one side of the bike to the other side so both mufflers are on the same side. In doing so, that creates more back-pressure.
IF done correctly, that little added section of pipe and a couple of extra bends doesn't REALLY and any significant back pressure. And it only affects ONE cylinder.
Maybe you need to look into some heat shields for the pipes that you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts