Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
You felt pretty giddy, didn't you, as you sissyfooted around in your foreign boots, half believin' that the Timberlineman wouldn't show up kick yer...Oh, nevermind.

-----------------------------------------------

They call me...The Timberlineman

-----------------------------------------------

·
Registered
246 Posts
The writing was good enough that someone should take credit as the author. From the style of the writing I'm guessing it was John Burns. But since no author was listed, I wrote it. There now I'm finally published. It was easier to get done than I thought it would be. :)

Take care,

Dave

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I like the fact that they're casual yet still armored.

I currently use the SIDI City boots for cooler rides. They're fully armored and still look good in a restaraunt.

I've got Dainese Techno Touring boots for warm days which are like fully armored high top tennis shoes.

If I was in the market for boots I'd certainly look at the Docs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Zorro removes his mask for NO ONE!

While industry icon and Fonzie look-alike Mr. Burns is obviously a great influence on all of us, the Docs piece was penned by right-hand man Waylon Smithers (aka Eric Bass).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boots and Gloves of the Real Biker

Time to take stock of this essential garb for biking in America. The Harley biker knows all about it.

By a man’s boots you can read deep into his character and see his resolve to do things his way, the right way, the only way. On a Harley, boots precede the rest of the biker, leading the charge of steel and leather thundering down the highway. Off the bike, a Harley rider’s boots still serve a noble purpose as they are his roots to the earth and his foundation for taking a stand on all issues that define a real American.

Boots are also the only part of Harley riders seen by atrociteurs, who are too gutless to raise their sights any higher in the presence of a real biker. As the atrociteurs cower and tremble at the sight of Harley boots, they secretly wish they were man enough to fill them. Needless to say, a Harley rider’s boots state their case silently, ‘less of course an atrociteur be so dense the boots need teach a lesson or two.

Gloves also tell a story. A Harley rider’s fist in the air is accorded a reverent respect by all who know the traditions and values he stands for. Other hand signals from Harley riders have led Americans to heroic achievements for untold decades. And the greatest honor any biker can have is another Harley rider raising his hand in a salute of recognition.

Most times a Harley rider will find that fingerless gloves are best, as they allow for a tight rein on the machine but also a bare-knuckled grappling of adversity. Then there are times of courage and resolve when a Harley rider controls his throttle and the men he leads with a full gauntlet.

The boots and gloves worn by a rider of a Harley-Davidson are among the most important expressions of who he is, and not just because they do the talking from time to time.

It’s because they’re along for the ride every time.

They call me . . . The Highwayman

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Docs.. How do I love the?

Let me count the ways:

1: Far and away the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn.

2: They last forever (except for the laces on lace-up models, which are easily frayed by the rough eyelets) Aside from frequent lace replacement, these things are indestructible.

3: Like Levis, Docs never go out of style.

4: They don't pound, clop or squeak like many other types of footwear.

5: They are supremely supple and flexible which makes them work very well on a bike (this might however, cut down on the orthopedic protection, in case of a tumbling crash)

6: My mom wears them to bed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wearing Out His Welcome

This guy was amusing the first few times. But now, this is just getting on my nerves. Is it time to start blocking this guy? Turn our backs on his pathetic cries for attention? I think it is time for us to moderate this guy into obscurity.

·
Registered
246 Posts
So I guess the gentleman with the boots on his hands and tongue out is Eric Bass? Is the soul patch thing under the lower lip all the current rage in California or is he trying really hard to emulate John Burns? Just my opinion here only, it looks kind of gay really. Not gay in a good way either, more like the leather arm chap sort of way. Anyway, I'm sure he's a nice guy and decent author.

Take care,

Dave

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
The most amusing thing about this article was having wallpapers pics for a pair of boots. Anyway Docs are nice but they are a little thick in the toes for my sport bike pegs and levers. I had some Docs forever. Wife tossed them cause she was tired of looking at them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Boots and Gloves of the Real Biker

I dunno. Seems to me that what I see the average HD pilot wearing says something more like:

"Hi, I am too stupid to wear a full face helmet, not to mention an appropriate jacket or pants or gloves.

-- They call me...The Crash Statisticman"

·
Registered
446 Posts
My dear beloved mother bought me a pair of standard-issue lace-up Docs just at high-school graduation. That was nearly nine years ago...still wear 'em most days to the job site.

And I'm only on my fourth pair of laces.

And I'm glad to see the HighwayMan back...because he is here to pump (clap) me up. This post seems more transparently humourous than the first batch, though; maybe he needs a care package to lighten his heart...a case of MD20/20 and a carton of unfiltered Pall Malls ought to do. Who's with me?! Also, it reminds me that there are H-D riders (though rare) who actually think this way, and it reminds me that I did a good thing by trading the Road King in on a BMW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Riding boots?????

Why are these being treated like riding boots? They are no more good riding boots then jeans are good attire for your legs. They might work for some guy on a Harley who rides to the corner bar and back, but that is about it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.