Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"previous bikes were CBR600, Katana 750, VTR1000. I need more sport than those"

I can't offhand think of any passenger-comfortable two-up bike that will give you the "sport" you're looking for. Comfort + performance = compromise. Sounds like you're looking for a 10/10ths sportbike, which wouldn't have passenger comfort on its mission statement.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: YES...

That Yamaha MO just tested looks pretty good.

Any big sports-tour Jap bike with a fairing would fit the bill.

Jeez, I had the same dilemma in September of last year. Everything looked so dang good.

So I bought a Buell. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(OT-PS - Note the lack of "First post!" When you get it, act like you've been there before and will be there again. Word.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you tried some of the modern SPORT tourers (as opposed to BMW-style sport TOURERS)? The Triumph Sprint ST, Aprilia Futura, and the good ol' VFR are all handy enough to put up a good lap time and have plenty of comfort for the missus.

And if you're ready to shell out some serious cash, I just took a test ride on a BMW K1200S last week. Absolutely phenomenal, but pricey at over 17 grand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No bike with serious passenger hauling ability will be as fun on the track as a pure sport-bike. My advice would be to get a Yamaha FJR1300 for hauling and distance, then save up and get a used SV650 for the track. Or buy a ZX-10R and drive the car when the missus wants to go somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I vote VFR. If you don't think there is enough "sport" in the VFR watch Reg Pridmore ride two up around the outside of "A & B" riders during his CLASS.

I forget where I read it years ago and who the journalist was talking about but it does point out the skill factor.

-"he can smoke you down racer road on a goldwing with a fidgety John Candy on back"

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Posting to your own post is frowned upon here in the Mo arena. Some say however that a 3rd post to you own post erases the "over-posting" stigma entirely, and is good.

I got second post btw. Second posts have a whole different set of rules that space and time don't permit listing. Or posting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 99 Triumph Sprint ST, and it does exactly what you describe. My wife and I often do rides of two to three hundred miles, and the bike has more than enough 'sport' to keep me satisfied when I ride alone. It's nice, too, that you can pick up a used one with low miles for under $5k.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Buy an FJR or a Duc ST3. The FJR is a rocket on two wheels two up. True performance and cheap to insure. The ST3 is a wonderful ride with two-up comfort. Not nearly as strong as the FJR but will go for miles on a tank of gas. Personally, the Duc has a service schedule that you have to live by so I'd pick the Yamaha. I've done 300 mile days on the FJR and my cousin owns it now. If you want to spend a few dollars more go with a BMW K1200GT. 06 model uses the "new" K bike motor and makes about 145 hp. I've only heard reports but none have been negative.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think you mean Freddie Spencer?

Spencer does the 2-up VFR thing in his class, there are lots of accounts of it around the web, it is supposed to be an amazing experience to ride on the back.

He gives everyone who takes the class a ride on the back.

I would second the suggestions of getting a bike in the VFR/Sprint ST/ST3 class.

The K1200S is truly drool worthy but it's so expensive. :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
It's off the beaten path, but my '04 XB12R Firebolt fits that bill perfectly. It's a razor sharp track bike when ridden solo, yet when I add the accessory touring seat my wife is happy for 200+ mile rides. Also, the torquey v-twin is happy to lug along at low RPM with a passenger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As others have mentioned you will always sacrifice comfort for sporting ability. But I really believe that there are a number of bikes which are quick, and sharp enough, while still offering decent passenger accomendations.

For example:

• Kawasaki ZRX1200R
  • Yamaha FZ1
  • Honda VFR 800
  • Honda 919

If you can't go fast on the above mentioned bikes then its problem with the rider, not the bike.

I'm somewhat biased since I ride a ZRX, but honestly I havent found a better bike for all around sport, street riding, all while doing it in comfort.

Stick Rossi on a Yamaha FZ1, and you (or any other average track day rider) on a ZX-10R. My money will be on Rossi anyday.

"It aint the tool..."

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes it does. It's the FJR 1300.

I rode the old FJ 1200 for years, two up, with full luggage, and here's how it would go:

- We (the lovely lady and I) would be swooping and swooshing our way up Hwy 1.

- We'd come up behind a 'Bago.

- I'd look around it...the lovely lady would give me two quick squeezes with her knees to say "Giddyap hoss" and...

- A twist of the wrist and we'd be around that 'Bago before they could even click their dentures.

Together (and with leather, luggage and treats) we weighed easily 400 lbs, maybe more.

Super comfy for your lady, super fun for you, and super powerful for both of you. Yes it's big and heavy, but you get used to it - it's such a lovely ride (and I'm talking about the old FJ12, the FJR13 seems definitely sweeter).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm looking at an xb12r or s, My debate is over long distance 1 up touring.

Wind Protection advantage goes to the r and the seating position and looks go to the S.

what would you think of your R on a say 4 day 600 Mile/Day 75% Interstate and 25% backroad (I like the twisites but my long distance stuff is done with a lot of cruiser interstate types)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear a lot of FJR but he mentioned Track Day and if you are taking a bike for some trackday fun I do not see the FJR as a Choice,

The Duc's, K1200S, Buells, VFR, Ect. would be fun track day tools as well. Another to throw in but I haven't tried ZX14 looks like it might work.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.