Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mr Nehme- Please put down the crack pipe and get some sleep.........

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
You can almost hear the death wheeze of the entertainment industries love affair with the chopper shtick.

Kind of a shame really. Chopper, though not my cup of tea, kind of represented some sort of rose tinted purity to riding (whether accurate or not). Sure, they look uncomfortable and not practical...and even ugly, but usually the guy riding the bike was the one that put it together...and would actually ride the damn thing longer than the10 feet it would take to get it up the ramp and into the trailer.

What a ridiculous abortion it became.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Pretty brave someone went this far and still dared to risk the concept´s approval by opting for a japanese engine. God knows these circles have not been known for their liberal open mindedness. Hats off for this guy.

- cruiz-euro

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Back when I built a chopper ('71) I used a W2650 platform and did the usual molding, 8" tubes, etc etc. But I left the front brake on and did no raking. Most of the other people I rode with did similar treatments. Few people went out and bought a pre-made chopper and those who did were considered ridiculous.

There was also the show class of choppers. These were designed for looks and not for riding.

Today you have an incredible number of idiots buying these dangerous showbike-like thingies and riding them around. It's hard to feel a lot of sympathy for someone who wrecks while riding something with a useless front brake, flexy frame, no rear suspension and ape hangers. Riding one of those is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
but they can be hidden. remember the Berg/Cobra NV2000?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Then you never got to enjoy the dubious pleasure of getting those "custom" parts out of the catalogs to actually fit on your bike.

PS Don't worry. You'll be 55 years old sooner than you think.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I love the cheaper and more reliable line. How much did Yammer pay him to say that?

Most customs and choppers aren't built with H-D motors. They're built with clone motors but if you see one broken down on the road, some KP type will say, "there's another broken down Harley!"

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Since most of the engine parts are either bought from HD or one of the HD clone manufacturers then I think one could still think of them as Harlies.

You're just thin skinned about people making fun of that S&S chopper you bought secretly.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I built my Shovel in '81, '57 rigid frame, 2 inchs of stretch in the down tubes and an 8 over Superglide front end with Apey hangers and a suicide clutch. I did have a stock front disc though so it actually stopped. Most of the stuff I used was either used or modified stock Harley which is why it held together for the most part. I learned real quick about aftermarket junk.

Back then if you had a shop or someone else build a bike for you, it was an excuse for them to take all the used sh*t off their bikes and use it to build yours, and then charge you new prices for it.

Probably not the paragons of virtue these new generation "craftsman" are.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
yeah...i put my old panhead chop together and rode it more than 10 feet. iIusually made it at least 10 miles before something broke....LOL......an unreliable poorly engineered POS put together by a clueless teenager. MAN I MISS IT!!!!

PS: I DID get real good at setting points and cussing!

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.