Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I ate a ton on Christmas!

I was with relations a half a continent away from my bikes, so I couldn't ride, but San Diego county is a lovely place to do the Ton on Christmas. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Being a Colorada Native (and graduate of CU) you made me very homesick. Enjoy yourself you dog.. I miss the sunshine (300 + days) and all of those (50+) 14,000 ft mountain peaks. 3 of them are taller than Mt. Ranier sarnali...Plan to get back home this summer after a week at Freddy's school in Vegas...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't know about the Brit tradition of doing the ton on Christmas, but I went and did it anyway in sunny southwest texas with my new sprint rs. i guess with the right bikes the traditions just take care of themselves.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Funny thing about the Ton is around Atlanta very few know the meaning. I'd do the Ton as a new tradition with friends if they'd just ride in weather below 60. The pansies around here have trouble riding in anything under 70 for some reason.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My bmw buddy,who got me into bikes anyway,used todrive and race bikes for over 30 yrs.He is one of the original cafe racers in england and used to have one of those stripped down bonnies[bonnevilles] in london where ha was doing the ton over the old iron bridge.When I tell this to my wife,she just looks at me [we,re both black] she wonder,s if I,m reincarnated.He wants me to get a thruxton[mild reincarnation],but I won,t cause the back and I,d never get it back from him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always envied the folks who live in Colorado as it appears that the weather, though as dicey as any place in the northern climes, seems to provide a number of good weather days in the Winter to ride. I'm in Northern Utah and live a mile high also, but I've got a foot of snow on the ground, my driveway is loaded with snow and ice and going through the canyons in the shade could spell DANGER if it's cold and icey (and usually is). So, I went out to my garage, lifted the cover, wished my 1600 Vulcan Classic a Merry Christmas and ordered "a ton" of chrome accessories over the internet.

Bheckel169

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ah chrome, that'll make it work better...The 1600 is a nice bike though. I have an 800 Classic, and they are reliable bikes, but believe it or not, I hate chrome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah..good old Fairplay. Where I would stop on my motojaunts for a Buffalo burger. What's the itsy=bitsy place up the road where a former LA Chip has/had a store/restaurant/post office. Something like Washington? Spent many hours listening to him share the lore of the Chips while eating his wife's outrageously delicious sweet rolls. Went through Fairplay last on my 2000 in 48 Ironbutt practice. From there to Manassa, rarely under the ton.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I probably would have agreed with you about 15 years ago, but I've become really intriqued with what I could do to simply improve my bike's looks but doing it with chrome. My wife is an artist and the two of us have come up with simple chrome improvements without all the conchos and leather hanging all the way to the ground. It's a really clean look and not gaudy at all. I use to like simple, black and straightforward but with all the new accessories out there, you can do quite a lot. And, by the way, no, I really don't think my 1600 Vulcan Classic has improved it's performance because of my simple chrome improvements. LOL

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
"I really wouldn't want to do it on a freeway in California"

Yeah you might have to get out of the way of all the cellphone chatting, latte consuming SUV drivers driving bumper to bumper at about a buck o five.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Colorado Geography

By the way I fought forest fires in Colorado for 6 seasons idiot. 3 seasons as a heliattack (helicopter firefighting team) foreman. Spent 2 seasons doing airrecon as well. So I pretty sure I have flown over more terrain than you ever could cover on a cruiser.

City boy. Don't you live in Maryland... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.