Motorcycle Forums banner

Don't Blame the Messenger

22K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  sfmotocourier 
#1 ·
FPMF! Ride your bike and get paid? Where do I sign!

#6 ·
I'll blame the messenger....

...for putting the rest of us riders in a bad light.

"He seems to regard traffic laws, one-way streets and traffic signals as mere abstractions for other, non-motorcycle messenger people."

Yes, lets glorify this behavior......and do we really wonder why a lot of non-motorcyclists hate us.

#9 ·
Let's overreact, shall we?

I wasn't trying to glorify Rick's riding style, just trying to report it accurately, which is my job, I think. I also gave the perspective of two other messengers who ride more sanely.

Breaking the law is bad, but we all do it. It's just a matter of degree. Some non-motorcyclists are going to disapprove of what we do no matter what.

#13 ·
As an ex-messenger myself (Silver Bullet, San Fran 1990-1992) I feel for the dude who makes $350 a week. Back then, it was alot cheaper to live in CA, and a good messenger could easily clear $400-450 a week. Back then there was alot more short trip work though (across town stuff). The "big tags" were pretty rare.

In this day and age of skyrocketting cost of living, it's hard to see how $350/week is worth it...stay safe guys!

Oh hey, does anyone know if you can still buy Zo Bags in San Fran? Mine has been worn out for 10 years, and I want another one...a Google search was not fruitful.

#14 ·
Don't Blame the MO

Only paid subscribers can post here (which you can obviously do, and the cookie is set for *.motorcycle.com so it should work everywhere) and I can login as you and read stories, so I'm not sure what your problem is. Try loging out and back in at:

http://news.motorcycle.com/delcookie.motml

This page was written for earlier version of IE that had cookie problems. It's likely that you've somehow blocked or deleted something in the cookie we set...

Hope this helps! Email for us is staff at motorcycle dot com

--Ashley

#15 ·
Great article guys, thanks. I admit that I am intrigued by the whole idea, "Fast Bike as fast as you think you can get away with", just doin' my Job. I've had way worse jobs that payed less but I'd wager there is some value in being able to ride up as a "former" Motorcycle Messenger aye Pete?

#16 ·
Absolutely!

And I thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your comments and criticism, even when I discount them out of hand. Most of the time, I do incorporate reader's suggestions and try to use them to make what I write better and more tailored to the average MOron.

As always, and with every subscriber, I'm happy you read what I write and hope the level of writing and photography meets your high standards, even if you sometimes disagree with the tone, conclusions or opinions expressed.

Thanks for being part of MO!

#17 ·
Your Google must be broken.

Googling "Zo Bags San Francisco" got me to his website: www.zobags.com. He sells his bags on eBay now, for about $400-500. It's quite a gourmet product!

Did you see my "In the Bag" story on messenger bags? http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcgabe/05_In_The_Bag/index.motml

I wish I had spoken with Eric from Zo Bags before I did the story! He had a lot of info about messenger bags.

#18 ·
Re: Your Google must be broken.

My bad...I admit that it's been a long time since I tried to Google for it. I should have tried before I posted. Maybe there was some down time for them at some point and that's when I loooked...oh well.

Also, i I missed that story, but I'll go read it now!

#19 ·
I used to own a CX 500 Honda. Butt ugley, and top heavy to boot. But it was well built and reliable after the cam chain problem was sorted. I understand why it was the favourite mount of British Couriers back in the early 80's. Some put 100,000 miles on them in and around London. Who in their right mind would steal that bike ?

#20 ·
Great article.

I use to ride for Quick Couriers at LAX before the advent of the FAX machine...

Rode a Truimph that would shed parts in about the same place every few days (La

Tijera & Sepulveda). Really odd.

Like one time I observed my air cleaner roll into the path of a city bus. Had to cross over three lanes of traffic and punt it up on the sidewalk before it got flattened.

Then it fell off again in about the same place that next week and ricocheted off someone walking out of the Bank of America.

Ran a velocity stack after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.