Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a DR200se for transportation. Get's great mileage but kind of winding out the motor at highway speeds. Thinking about taller gearing, either a tooth more for primary or a couple less in the rear. Seems to be none available though when I searched.

Anybody changed sprockets on this DR200se? Care to share your experience?

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
The DR200 is not all that powerful. Raising the gearing might make it impossible to reach highway speeds.

You can check your local dealer or an accessory shop for sprockets. They have catalogs that you won't find posted on the net.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was aiming to do a mild gearing change...but after some reflection, you all may be right!

The stock is 15/45 and I was thinking a tooth more in front or three less in the rear. That changes the final from 3.0 to about 2.8 or 6%. At 6k that would be less than a 400 rpm diff...hardly seems to be worth the trouble. I guess I should be content with what I got...

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I agree with the change may be too much for that 200. I added a tooth to the front on my old KLR 650 and went back down to stock later.
Did it affect your mileage? I used a KZ750 to commute for several years. I put a one tooth over countershaft sprocket to reduce rpms. After a couple years I went back to stock and immediately noticed how much faster the bike's passing was. The gas mileage, 45mpg average, was the same with both sprockets. So I left it stock being a speed junkie and all.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
I went down 2-teeth on the rear sprocket of one of my Hawks - primarily to "move" the vibration I was getting at highway speed. It's probably like seru's, in making passing a tad less "snappy". Mileage is essentially a moot point as well.

If it takes X HP to move an object Y velocity, it takes X HP, no matter what your gearing may be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wouldnt even mess with gearing, the DR200 is not made for Highway use unless your traveling at 60mph. Get something bigger.
I already have 15 T on gear box. That leaves the rear wheel. Checking that later today. So far it's ok for take off. But still lacking in top end. Great for gearing in narrow/technical lanes. Don't want to affect THAT ! Will report re present number of teeth.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts