Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Beer, its not just for cruisers anymore

The guys I ride with (touring bikes, mostly BMW's) make stopping at the bar a regular event of any group ride. I can't say if any of them have had too much, but I'm certain that they've at least been borderline on a few occasions.

For the record I don't drink and ride only because I tip over too easily as is.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Drinking & Riding, It Just Goes Together

Listen you bunch of holier than thou's, I drink and ride, not in riduculous quantities, but apparently enough so no of you will ride with me.

The first time I did it I noticed that the best way to "sober up" was to ride a bike. One becomes most aware of his surroundings. A moment of clarity?

Anyway, my only big accident was sober. Ouch. Maybe if all biles were as cool as mine, you "bums" would know you were to drunk due to the fact that you would be able to get your bike started.

Girlie electric start whimps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately, sad but true.

During my 13 year tenure with the Canada Safety Council "Gearing Up" program (equivalent to MSF), the drinking/riding thing was the hardest concept to pass along to new riders. The province I'm in doesn't help this with the current graduated licensing system. New riders aren't allowed (by law) to drink and ride (0% Blood Alcohol) but once you obtain your full license, the law states that you can ride up to .08%. Amazingly, the current legislation here contributes to the statistics mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Drinking & Riding, It Just Goes Together

Either you're just playing around trying to invoke a response from other posters OR you are as stump-smart as your grammar/spelling indicates.

Gee, how can I tell that you have some macho attitude while-I-ride-my-bike and turn on the ladies?

C'mon pal. You're in the minority here, and if you think being an underdog is cool, I really hope for your sake you don't hurt anyone else when you do crash.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Drinking and Riding Certification Programs

How about a program where you ride on a course after drinking. At the point where the alchohol impairs you so you cannot succesfully negotiate the course, your BAC is measured, and you recieve a card with that number stamped on it.

If you are stopped, and your BAC exceeds the number on the card, then you get cited. Everyone's different, right?

It would be much harder to figure a standard for halucinogens, though...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I enjoy the feel of riding too much to dull my senses with alcohol. I went to a bikefest in October and the one thing they couldn't keep on hand was diet coke.I've never been to any large gathering where there wasn't a lot of drinking no matter what the people were driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the law allows a person to drink a certain amount and then ride a bike. so you can do that if you want.

you can even drink more than the law allows and ride your bike if you want. you just ought to realize that there could be very serious consequences. we all know what they are.

personally, i never, ever ride my bike after drinking anything with alcohol in it.

call me a chicken or a wuss or whatever. but i like my life too much. being alive allows me to drink beer and have fun. being alive allows me to ride my bike and have fun. being alive allows me to do all sorts of fun things. being dead doesn't.

here's what happens when i get even a tiny bit buzzed - i don't see things as clearly or quickly. i'm less focussed. i'm less coordinated. and i'm just a little bit more brave and eager. bad combo. the margins are way too narrow to begin with. hey, downing a few beers is great. riding a bike is great. but done together, they could ruin everything. dead is stupid. jail is stupid. guilt is stupid. why be stupid?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I never wear a helmet when I'm drunk, that way I can blow all the chunks I want and not mess up my lid. I also find that the faster I ride, the easier it is to puke without getting any on my bike. The trick is to turn around backwards and let the 100MPH breeze carry away the bile, before it has a chance to drop onto you or the bike.

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Drinking and Riding: Car Drivers Still At It

Drinking and Riding: Automobilists Still At It

Dr. Maria Vegega recently presented a study on automobilists and drinking to the American Public Health Association, in which she found that alcohol consumption is a major, continuing part of automobile culture.

Vegega noted that most automobilists didn't think the recent anti-drinking-and-driving campaigns applied to them, and that the threat of bodily harm or even death didn't seem motivate automobilists to stop drinking and riding. What did? The possibility of damage and/or loss of their automobile.

As if our own stupidity weren't enough, this bad trend has been noticed by the National Highway Safety Administrion, who acknowledge that over that past 10 years, while alcohol-related fatalities for passenger buses have dropped significantly, drinking-related automobile fatalities have not.

We'd bet that spot checks of automobilists are on the way in the near future...

This is the kind of behavior we need to stop, and certainly not the type of PR automobilists as a whole need!

·
Registered
368 Posts
The only time I drink and ride is when I go to see racing (both bike & car) and ride my bike there. I'll be there all day (10-5) and have 2-3 beers with a big lunch. Even then I make sure I stop drinking a couple hours before I leave.

Other than that, I won't do it. Have a friend who told me last time he did drink (1 beer) then ride shortly after he crashed. He hasn't drank any and rode since then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Hypocrites (a rant)

You make some valid points. The real test is when a loved one or close friend is either a victim or perpetrator in an accident involving alcohol. Where do you draw the line?

The fact that can't be disputed is this. Alcohol is proven to be a major contributing factor in accident rates. The effect of alcohol will be proportionate to the amount consumed. Why would anyone compromise their chances of safety, even a little?

And I don't believe it's your right to drink and ride/drive, and then go out and hurt someone else because of it. I believe in common sense.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Hey , go shoot yourself, cant you tell flamebait when you see it? Oh, I guess not, since your too stupid or too frightened to log in with something better than Anonymous Squid.

Piss off

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Hey MO

Wow, your quite coherent to realize what I was up to. It would have gotten past because I normally blast stupid posts, but thought this topic was too good to pass up. Why didn't you log in, along with most of the sober, responsible, very rude people who responded. Too drunk? Besides, a little flamebait is what makes MO. Without it, I would bother reading it as much as I do.

·
Registered
18 Posts

"Listen you bunch of holier than thou's, I drink and ride, not in riduculous quantities, but apparently enough so no of you will ride with me."

By the amount of hate mail I have received, I am lead to believe that no one, swearing on their lives, has ever had a beer an ridden a motorcycle....yeah, right.

"The first time I did it I noticed that the best way to "sober up" was to ride a bike."

Because I was scared poopless. That is something I do not enjoy.

"Maybe if all biles were as cool" slip???? it is suppossed to be bike, but it it good for comic relief.

"Girlie electric start whimps!"

No amount of MO postings will ever change my mind about that, the one truth in the entire post...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.