Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi.

im a real newbie with motorcycles.... so please excuse my ignorance.

i was just wondering about the problems of dropping your motorcycle. Well, obviously physical problems... but does it also include possible internal problems or something??
:(

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've only had internal problems when dropping a bike, ie: wtf you FORGOT to put down the kick stand? I had an artificial stimulus problem in the 70's and 80's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh~ i see i see.
thanks for clearing that up... because i didnt really think it was a big deal when accidently dropping a bike if it resulted in physical damage, maybe a scratch here or there... but since it can cause internal problems...i guess then it is a big deal.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
hi.

im a real newbie with motorcycles.... so please excuse my ignorance.

i was just wondering about the problems of dropping your motorcycle. Well, obviously physical problems... but does it also include possible internal problems or something??
:(
Do you mean internal physical problems with the bike or with the rider?

The innards of bikes are very tough; I've seen and participated in some bike wrecks that virtually destroyed the metalwork, suspension, and frames of bikes, but left the engine and drivetrain unharmed. Shifter shafts tend to get bent up in wrecks; resulting in a need to disassemble. Most everything else is encased.

As for the rider, your self-diagnostics will take care of that question.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Apparently some bikes do not like to lay on one side or the other.

Fer instance - Triumph triples supposedly dislike laying on their left side; something about oil getting where it isn't supposed to, and causing a hydraulic lock when the engine is restarted.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Unless you're unlucky enough to crack a crankcase end cover or bend the shift lever you should be OK, of course there's always that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you see your baby laying there...

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
The best way to insure not dropping your bike- don't ride it. Don't even polish it. Just park it and smile while you walk by.

Outside of the "forget to put the kickstand down" thing you should only have to worry about dents. The real trick is getting it off the tarmac. If you don't know how just YouTube "picking up a motorcycle" and you find helpful and funny ways of getting the bike off the ground.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
You are going to drop your bike.

So the question is how much pain will you experience.

Naked standard bike = minimum pain.

Half-faired bike = medium pain.

Fully faired bike = maximum pain.

Dropping a Bandit over might cost you a mirror and a lever. Dropping a CBR might cost you thousands.

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I've had that sick feeling with every bike I have owned. They all went down at some time. I don't even consider it mine until I dropped it at least once.
I always offer to key my buddies new vehicles, as you can relax once the first scratch is on it. My wife was kind enough to back into someone the first week we had our new Car, no key required. Thanx Honey...

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I always offer to key my buddies new vehicles, as you can relax once the first scratch is on it. My wife was kind enough to back into someone the first week we had our new Car, no key required. Thanx Honey...
I had some Russian as*hole take care of that for me by slamming his door open into the side of my Explorer a few days after I got it....

"Sorry..was ax-ci-dent"...he say's

...commie bastard...

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Longride is rite - it ain't yers till yer dropped it. Hopefully whilst standing still.

I have a gimp (non PC) knee- sports injury from the Pre-Cambrian Era ie before the arthoscope....anyhoo, I was trying to park my lightish R1200 (light is a relative term, mind you) up at the mountain based Fortress of Solitude. And a scratch free 07 got its first scratches...

To which I say, So what?

Listen up, noob. Check out a cc of current Rider Wearhouse catalog. See a gal named Colleen standing triumphantly upon her fallen steed. THAT is the attitude to which you must aspire.

Now drop quickly, grasshopper and be free.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I must be the weirdo

Honestly, I have never dropped a bike ever. I've come close a few times but saved them with my superhuman strength.

I've tossed a few dirtbikes into the weeds but that's different. ;-)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bike's are tough. There is a local twisty road near Portland, OR that cuts to the coast from the valley. It's narrow, unstriped, and has about 3 miles of gravel on it. But since the road is more than 60 miles of twists and elevation changes people ride it on sportbikes despite the gravel. The sign warning of impending gravel is always in shade in the summer, and it's hard to see. Came down the road one day and see a few bikes stopped looking over the guardrail right after the gravel started. A fellow had put him and his 600cc sportbike over the guardrail and down a steep rocky slope toward a river.
After a couple of hours we got the bike back over, and despite an entirely trashed fairing, broken mirrors and windscreen, broken rear brake and shift lever, the thing started right up after a bit of cranking. You aren't likely to do much engine damage dropping your bike at low or no speed other than break some plastic and maybe bend a shift, brake or clutch lever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Should bike riders be required to carry side arms? If you are riding a hog and drop it hard on the tarmac you may need to do the human thing and shoot it to put it out of its misery.

If you are riding something else, especially a bike with fully decked out you may want to shoot yourself when you assess the damage you did.

Certainly with major damage if you talk to your insurance company you will certainly want to shoot some thing or someone.

As a newbie I have read and listened to my instructors and they all have said that I will drop my first bike several times. When I first get it and before I drive it drop it several times on the grass in front of my house will that count or will I still need to drop it out on the hard surfaces where it will sustain some damage?

Seriously at what point does one decide it better to leave the bike and not go down with it? I know you want to avoid a high side fall but low side ones do not look too fun either.

Since I am 61 (yes LXI) and am starting my riding career I do not have time for too much of this falling down stuff and need to go quickly as possible to where I have a good looking biker chick hanging onto to me. I also wonder how to convince my wife that a cute, young biker chick hanging onto me is part of the necessary training to become a better rider.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.