Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
"However, I think it will be a V-4 instead and will be based on the MotoGP bike. Especially, since Ducati V-Twins are not truely competitve with the inline 4s in World Superbike."

Really? So you think that by leading the championship means a cycle is not "truely competitve". Ok. So what does a bike need to do to be "truely competve" ? Does it need be last in the championship standings perhaps?

What really scares me is that individuals like you are allowed to breed.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I don't know, Buz. You almost gotta feel sorry for someone who seems to care so much about which set of arbitrary racing rules is truly divinely inspired. Maybe he'll start a new religion where they kill each other over how many pistons dance on the head of a pin.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
1- If Ducati made the v-4 it would only serve as a platform for "street" models

2- If they raced the v-4 in WSB or AMA they would not be allowed a displacement increase because it's a 4 cyl.

3- WSB knows that the Duc is down on power compaired to the in-line bikes and WILL allow the displacement increase for the v-twin.

4- Ducati is not in the 4 cyl business. Their history is singles and v-twins (actually reffered to as L-twin since it's 90 degree layout is obvious)

5- "truely competitive" is nuts. The Duc out handles most of the bikes on the track. What they are looking for is more top-end power for tracks with long straights. In the twisty parts of the track they have no problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i roll my eyes in the general direction of that "news."

we've been bashing this around, over the 'ducati monster list', and figure it's MCN's fever dream.

while ducati have discussed replacing the 999, its seems as though a 1200cc twin is improbable.

they're still winning in superbike, so why would the powers that be allow them a bump in displacement?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actually, Ducati has openly hinted that they are considering development of a larger displacement V-twin. Now, that doesn't mean it will be in production, they are just testing the waters to see if a bump in displacement could make a V-twin on par with a 1K four cylinder for racing. Some have claimed the Testastretta 999 has reached its maximum output and needs to be bigger before they can start pushing higher HP numbers. They wouldn't do anything unless a major rule change was made in SBK to allow engines that size, however.

Remember, they are working on a V-4 GP replica- the 990cc Desmosidici RR will be in production very shortly, and is already undergoing prototype testing as of many months ago. So it isn't likely they will start making V-4s, they are DEFINITELY going to start making them, and in a few years we may see them in more pedestrian Duc models than the 60 000 Euro RR. I think that is more likely than a 1200cc v-twin, but don't denounce the idea just yet.

Oh, and remember that this source is completely unreliable. Remember the 220hp VFR1200? Or the '06 Busa with over 200 hp? No? Well that's because they were BS that MCN claimed was on the way. You might as well go on to Raptors and Rockets for your 'future model' info.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
If the WSB rules are changed to allow 1200cc twins, you won't see a V-4 road bike priced in the vicinity of the current 999, only the uber-pricey, low production Desmosedici road bike.

With an extra 200cc the Duc twin will be competitive for years to come. In fact, if you hadn't noticed (which doesn't surprise me), Bayliss is quite a bit more than competitive right now.

The problem is that it's in such a high state of tune, it's at its very edge of development. It won't be able to keep up in a year or two.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
2005 WSBK results... inline 4s dominated.

1 1 Corser Troy Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

2 3 Abe Norick Yamaha Motor France-Ipone Yamaha YZF R1

3 4 Barros Alex Klaffi Honda Honda CBR 1000RR

4 7 Chili Pierfrancesco D.F.X. Treme Honda CBR 1000RR

5 8 Clementi Ivan Team Pedercini Ducati 999 RS

6 9 Walker Chris PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse Kawasaki ZX10R

7 10 Nieto Fonsi PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse 2 Kawasaki ZX10R

8 11 Xaus Ruben Sterilgarda - Berik Ducati 999 F05

9 13 Iannuzzo Vittorio Celani Team Suzuki Italia Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

10 15 Foret Fabien Alstare Eng. Corona Extra Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

11 16 Gimbert Sebastien Yamaha Motor France-Ipone Yamaha YZF R1

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Current 2006 Standings inline 4s are dominating

1 1 Corser Troy Alstare Suzuki Corona Extra Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

2 3 Abe Norick Yamaha Motor France-Ipone Yamaha YZF R1

3 4 Barros Alex Klaffi Honda Honda CBR 1000RR

4 7 Chili Pierfrancesco D.F.X. Treme Honda CBR 1000RR

5 8 Clementi Ivan Team Pedercini Ducati 999 RS

6 9 Walker Chris PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse Kawasaki ZX10R

7 10 Nieto Fonsi PSG-1 Kawasaki Corse 2 Kawasaki ZX10R

8 11 Xaus Ruben Sterilgarda - Berik Ducati 999 F05

9 13 Iannuzzo Vittorio Celani Team Suzuki Italia Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

10 15 Foret Fabien Alstare Eng. Corona Extra Suzuki GSXR1000 K6

11 16 Gimbert Sebastien Yamaha Motor France-Ipone Yamaha YZF R1

12 18 Jones Craig Foggy Petronas Racing Petronas FP1

13 19 Pedercini Lucio Team Pedercini Ducati 999 RS

14 20 Borciani Marco Sterilgarda - Berik Ducati 999 F

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Facts and Data

bigdx this is getting redundant with you. Check your facts please before insulting my native american heritage...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't think we'll see it, at least not as MCN calls it.

It would make more sense for Ducati to go "big-bang" V4 to match with their GP efforts.

However, I would prefer to see the 1200cc v-twin, at least it moves the displacement in the right direction for a street bike.

Bigger displacement = more low end = more fun

Smaller displacement = more peaky = more work

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
More KPaul "facts and data"?

Interesting that Troy Bayliss doesn't show up in your point count.

Bayliss 75

Toseland 74

Corser 63

And since you're such a math wiz, you might want to do a statistical analysis considering that Ducati is the only V twin in the series while all the others are campaigning I4s.

Kind of makes it even more impressive doesn't it?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Maybe Ducati can bring back that big V4 POS they tried to sell to the NYPD back in the 70's.

What was it called? The Flagellator?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.