Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Ducati would consider Harley-Davidson merger ‘anytime,’ CFO says"

--Who wouldn't?! HD is massively profitable and has a huge consumer base. Ducati is nearly a boutique shop that has had a hard time keep it's head above water.

Ducati is kind of the HD of sportbikes...

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know, I think it makes sense from a marketing perspective.

Ducati LOVES their history. So does HD. I think it could work and I think HD buying Ducati would be great for Ducati and give Buell something interesting to play with.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
"Ducati is kind of the HD of sportbikes" I think kpaul, the GMP, said that a long long time ago.. But thanks for agreeing with me..

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
It's happened before, the Castaglioni Bros. owned both Ducati and Aeromacci, Aeromacci built Sprints and Baja's for Harley........

It makes a lot of sense for Ducati to get in bed with Harley given the corporate resources available. To take it one step further they could set up independent Ducati/Buell dealerships to focus on the sportbike demographic and have Harley dealers as Harley only.

That way the rugged individualists on Harleys wouldn't have to associate with those crotchrocket guys and sportbike riders wouldn't have to explain why they want carbon fibre parts, not chrome ones to the parts counter guys 20 times a day

It's a win/win I tell ya' !

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Gee k-pissgums, you did and no one else thought of it before you......

keep up the good work !

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Half of all Ducati owners in the US also own a Harley"

--I think the single dealership would work. If Harley goes through with it there would have to be mandatory training and reeducation programs set up nationwide, though :)

It would also give Harley a greater presence in the European market.

·
Registered
872 Posts
And I was thinking we'd start seeing folks out there with assless chaps and flip flops at the same time.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
God that is so disgusting on so many levels.. kpaul is bummed.. but hey what happens to Buell if the merge happens. My guess the firebolt become collectors items as Burns said they will cause they won't be made anymore.. One way for Harley to get a Modern V-Twin for the next gen of Sportsters..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
LOL As long as it's not longride and Buz..I'm good with it.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
I couldn't help it first biodiesel now this.. God you guys conspired against me didn't you..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think Ducati should ask Daimler-Benz how their merge with Chrysler went....

The only positive thing I could see is the ducati 1100 ds engine dropped into a Buell lightning, but even then, why buy one when you can get a Duc for a lil more money? And Harley dealers have been pothetic at best when it comes to sales and support of the Buell line, what makes Ducati think they can sell their bikes any easier?

JQ

·
Registered
155 Posts
Again?

This is one of those cyclical rumors that pokes its head up every few years. Superficially it's interesting (complementary product lineups! long and noble corporate histories! they're both V-twins!) but I cannot see the integration working out at all.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.