Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
News Flash 2008

Here's Ducati's latest Monster, the new Monster 714!!!

How many times can you change the displacement around? Ducati is the European version of Harley Davidson-right down to the bulk of it's sales being clothing & accessories-not bikes.

First post-yawn.

·
Registered
152 Posts
sounds like the ground the sv650 has held so long is getting a little shaky, what with the new ninja and now this ducati nipping at its heels, with the exeption of the Italian price premium it looks like this bike may be a match @370 lbs 45ft/lbs and 75hp (I would probably toss in the extra grand to own a monster)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't think another 70cc's in their entry level bike is a "yawn." I think it's a good move on Ducati's part to keep the base Monster refreshed - it is the best seller in the U.S. (at least that's how I read it in DMH quarterly reports).

I couldn't tell in this write-up whether the new Monster's displacement increase comes from a bore or stroke (or both) increase. My hope is it's at least a combination - the additional pull from the stroke increase would be great. My wife has a M620 and her only complaint is that it's a bit weak off-idle...

I also noticed that the valve-interval has been increased to 7500 miles. I wonder if the other models will change as well; at least the 2-valvers...?

v2-90

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ducati is not the European Harley. Ducatis actually handle, they actually accelerate, and they are a blast to ride. Few bikes in the world can keep up with a Ducati in a corner; very few impart the sense of confidence. If you think this is only a repackaging, then you don't know Ducati. The only proper response to this motorcycle is that time honored response to any new Ducati - lust.

Francis

·
Registered
26 Posts
I rode Japanese bikes for a long time, and yes, some of the older bikes have character. But until you throw a leg over a European bike, you'll never understand. It's a visceral thing, trust me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sounds like that famous Harley slogan..If I have to explain...

But from a visceral point only (since that is what you say), how would it be different from riding on an SV650 or SV1000? What about a Buell? What about V4 Japanese bikes- ever hear a VFR with pipes? Is this for dry-clutch only Ducati's? I'm not sure I understand. Do you just prefer twins? An inline-4 liter bike near the redline is a pretty visceral experience. Maybe I do understand, maybe the Ducatisti are just barking up the wrong tree when they pen their arguments.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I'm not a jaded as the posts above... I've been wanting a new Duc and this is tempting. Getting into the mid 70s for HP plus I could actually afford to add the performance kit. Might be kind of fun, a small light comfortable bike to tool around on. With the traffic around here, you rarely get to use any more HP than that anyway. Plus I love the red and black color scheme. Maybe I'm just getting old...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've owned several Monster's and Supersports, I now own a Buell, Had a hawk GT and an R1 and the visceral experience of an inline four at redline sucks in comparison to anything made by Ducati... They really do have a total package feel that the japanese can't formulate with all their technology... They're boring frankly. But this is subjective, so feel free to bash away at my subjective opinion... It's as valid as yours. But what isn't an opinion is this 695 monster makes as much HP as the 900 when it came out in 1993... Here were the specs back then:

Engine Type: 904 cc, 4 Stroke - L Twin

Engine Bore and Stroke: 92 mm x 68 mm

Valves 2 valves/cylinder

Claimed Horsepower: 73 hp (54.4 kW) @ 7000 rpm

Maximum Torque: 76 Nm (56.1 ft. lbs) @ 6000 rpm

Transmission type: 6 speed

Final Drive: Chain

I'd rather have a Monster 400 than a sportster 883

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's obvious that you are a fan of Japan, Inc. That's fine. I prefer the European sort. Yes, you're right, I like twins (incl. Buell) and sometimes a triple. Inline fours are about as exciting to me as a Buick. At the moment, I don't own a Ducati, and with their current styling, you couldn't give me one either. On the SV1000 front, I owned an '02 DL1000. Great damn bike, and yes, it had a sweet exhaust note (Remus). It's infinately reliable and waaay cheaper than the Euro counterpart too. Now to my Guzzi and Triumph. Are they perfect, absolutely not! Do I have a visceral [(M-W dictionary)crude/ elemental emotion] attachment to the mechanical happenings and iffy electrical systems, absolutely! (subconsciously, I think that I just like to work on them, tinkeritis) Of my bikes, I ride the least powerful, oldest tech, and stylisticlly questionable one the most. My Guzzi. It's like the Harley guys say "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand" There's a lot of truth to that, and maybe I don't understand your connection to the "hyper-sport" style of bike. I was never attacking you, but rather the idea of BIG companies getting their fingers into the smaller builders. They don't belong. It would be like Anheuser-Busch running a microbrewery. It just ain't right.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.