Motorcycle Forums banner

Ducati history for sale? Hurry and read fast!

8K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  pplassm 
#1 ·
1st

#4 ·
Hate to be negative around Christmas time..BUT! A friend of mine has an old Pantah with an electrical problem and needless to say radio shack does not carry the part he needs.

Come to think of it, nobody has the replacement parts.

BTW, he does very good restoration work on this type of old bike; If he can't fix it I would stand no chance.

#9 ·
Looks like an interesting bike, but calling it "the bike that saved Ducati" seems to be a severe stretch.

How about the bevel head that Paul Smart rode to victory at Imola?

FWIW, there really isn't any need to be scared of the electrics on the Pantah, unless you are trying to build a 100 point restoration. Remember, the Pantah was NOT a computer controlled fuel injection bike. Switches that operate the lights and horn are obtainable at any salvage yard. Granted, if the alternator is kaput, it will be difficult to source a replacement, unless you are willing to cut some metal, or rewind the wires on the original. And the starter motor might need brushes; that, in turn might mean that you need to carve a bit on some other starter pieces.

Original parts might well be tough to obtain, though.

#10 ·
Damm, I should have kept my 78 900 SS, that was "the Duc". What, with the Conti pipes and the 40 mm carbs that came in the shipping crate with it, that was one fine bike, flies in the paint and all. Does anybody remember Ghost Motorcycles in Port Washington, NY?

#11 ·
The rare thing about this is the condition, not the bike. I've owned one of these, far back in the past, and at one time I had a Pantah and a Guzzi Monza and a Morini 3-and-a-half at the same time - and I rated both the Guzzi and the Morini as better than the Pantah. The electrics aren't a problem, they're largely Bosch parts, but the suspension is rock-hard and the ergos are no good if you're tall; no amount of aftermarket suspension bits seemed to make it any better. Engine-wise, it was okay, but no more than that: never as fast as you thought it was going to be. If you've ridden a modern Duke and you think this is going to be similar, you're very much mistaken. Still, if it's what you want - and in all seriousness it's a collector-only bike - then don't let me stand in your way.

#12 ·
Yes, I remember Ghost Motorcycles in Port Washington. I bought Nortons from them in the early '60s. My first was an Electra. Sal tried to push a Diana Mk III on me. But I wanted the Electric start. I'm just glad I didn't keep that bike too long, moved up to an Atlas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.