Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Now THIS is why I paid the subscription dollars.

I have been salivating over this new Duc ever since I heard about it. M.O. you have helped aanswer the burning question in my mind-- SV650 or Ducati 620 i.e.? With 750 i.e. fairing, this bike will be sweetest weekend cruiser/sports bike that a squid with alimony payments can ever desire.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Glad you like the 620 review. And with subscriptions going the way they are, we're finding out more about our reader's desires. For instance, the Foggy interview which we all loved, absolutely flopped. Racing-related stuff just doesn't seem to do well.

So it looks like we're sticking to road tests and comparisons and getting back to doing more product reviews, too.

And as for the burning SV650 vs. Monster 620 i.e. question, we hope to have an answer (comparo) for you soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love the review of the new 620 ie Ducati. I would like to see the comparison also with the SV650. I hope you can review the rest of the new monsters soon. Ducati rocks and I hope to own one some day! The road tests and comparisons are what I really enjoy. They make the subscription worth it!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
53.3 ft-lbs?

Someone might want to double-check the torque spec. The Ducati USA website is showing 39.2 ft-lbs for the Monster 620 i.e., 45.7 ft-lbs for the 750 i.e., and 53.8 ft-lbs for the Monster 900 i.e.

But I hope you guys are right. I'll buy one tomorrow if it really has 53.3 ft-lbs for $6,995 (in yellow).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: 53.3 ft-lbs?

Ducati, love them as we do, are all over the board on specs, sometimes. We won't know for sure what sort of numbers the new motor produces until we get one on our dyno. Thankfully, we're in the process of trying to procure a test bike right now, so (hopefully) that won't be too far away.

We'll let you know as soon as we do.

·
Registered
350 Posts
We'll probably do that. We're trying to be all things to all people so it's tough. Like Ricky Nelson said, "you can't please everyone so you've got to please yourself." Well, actually that quote may not illustrate my point here, though I do love the song ("Garden Party" I think).

Anyway, we'll try to provide something for everyone, and if subscriptions keep up, we have no problem taking a loss on a story if it'll make those who've already subscribed happy people and longtime MO readers.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got a 750 Dark, carburated, and it only makes about 60 horse too. It also weighs about 20 pounds, has wicked brakes and an incredibly stiff frame that lets my 6'3", 175 pound frame whip it around like a toy. It also looks cool and pulls the birds with ease.

I have no need for 100 horse at 12,000 RPM. Give me 60 horsies at an RPM I can use...like 6,750...and I can party all day long. Besides, I could barely ride when I got it. 100 horse would have gotten me killed. I know I can't handle that much power yet.

But I do know one other thing: I never imagined myself buying a Ducati. Now I can't imagine myself not buying another one.

--Foxy

·
Registered
350 Posts
Routine maintainence such as (fill in the blank)?

Let us know and we'll do our best to accomodate you. And, as always, feel free to e-mail any of us at [email protected] if you have any suggestions, thoughts, queries or oddities you'd like explained.

For instance, Calvin is good with guns, slightly less skilled with motorcycles, and a complete train wreck when it comes to ****tails and women. The rest of us compensate for his weaknesses, as he does for ours. Between those of us on staff and our contributors and friends in the industry, there's little we can't (or won't, at least, attempt to) answer.

Well, all of the above is true, unless your question starts out with, "if a train leaves St. Louis at 8:13 pm headed east at an average speed of 47 mph, and another train leaves Denver at 7:33 at..."

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think you're going to make the wrong choice. The little Monster always leaves you with the feeling that you wish you'd got the bigger one - something you're already experiencing by thinking of the 750i.e. fairing - whereas the SV650 is complete in itself, and a much better all-round bike.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Aha! But the SV650 doesn't have that cool Ducati name! And apparently posing is far more important than performance to many people. Just look at all the cruiser V-twins people buy. Even the fastest latest ones are easy meat for a 20 year old Suzuki 1100E.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I loved the Foggy interview; it was a clear beat of MCN. When you get a chance like that you've got to go for it.

You guys should do what you like and try to bring us along with you. U.S. riders don't follow WSB, MotoGP and BSB like the brits do, but it's great stuff, and it's the cradle of all the great bikes the most extreme of us like to ride (or gently guide?) (or lust after?).

We'd like your take on the above just to keep MCN honest. Maybe just editorialize on MCN and other reporting.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.