Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lack of the 999's front fairing "wings" on this 200mph motorcycle makes one wonder if they are more of a styling exercise than a functional aerodynamic aid. Do Fomula racing rules forbid these spoilers? Should Sean add them to the Atlantic scooter? Inquiring minds want to know. VWW

·
Registered
238 Posts
Zoom Zoom! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
No freakin' honda's at the IRTA test. Ducati might post the best numbers if not for Yamaha/Barros and Aprilia/Edwards trying to do the same. Looks like Suzuki's new bike is pretty good and Kawasaki's bike is atleast as fast as Suzuki's bike from last year.

·
Registered
175 Posts
"Do Fomula [sic] racing rules forbid these spoilers?"

Yes... in GP. The WSBK rules state that aerodymanic features such as the "wings" to which you refer are only allowed if they are standard equipment on the homologated version of the motorcycle. So, by putting them on the 999, Ducati gets to keep them in WSBK.

Some marketing genious must have conducted a survey and found that by reducing the COD by .000001% with these wings they might win every race in WSBK this year by an extra .02 seconds, and that the added margin of victory would sell enough bikes to make up for the number of people that won't buy the bike because they find those wings completely effing hideous.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It is disappointing that Honda will pass on the first IRTA round -- I hear that they decided to test privately at Sepang instead. I believe that this will be the first appearance (at least semi-public) for the 2003 version of the RC211V -- prior tests were with the 2002 version with a few new parts.

I am speculating that they may have gone back to look for some more speed, after seeing the times from Yamaha and Ducati in earlier tests. That may be why they are passing on the IRTA test, to be sure the new version is really ready.

Too bad that we can't get some TV coverage of the IRTA tests.

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good Job!

Very nice writeup and pictures. Certainly more interesting and comprehensive that what I have found on any other sites. Try keep Yossef busy doing more of this!

I also wanna hear more about Sean's scooter exploits -- especially if he can post some shots of squids getting passed on Angeles Crest!

Bob

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Good bye V-Twins

" the other with paired cylinders firing simultaneously. But early tests suggested that this version placed excessive stress on components, so engineers decided to focus their attention on the conventional configuration" It's only a matter of time before the ugly 999 gets replaced by a production version of the MotoGP V-4. Times are changing Duc fans Get used to it! :) Love the article by way. Thanks MO

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think Honda is going to Sepang for a couple reasons:

1. They want to test against their most recent benchmark with the newest version.

2. They don't want to show their hand too early if their speed is even faster than before.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback: V4's are the go, in-lines are so last year.

Hey KPaul I thought you were an in-line fan. Not to worry us VFR riders are very happy that the V4 has been chosen by Ducati as we know its a good engine configuration. Mind you, the V5 hasn't done bad so far either except we are still waiting for the road version.

Cheers

Merv.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Knowing how the paddock used to talk of how the WSB Ducatis got through crankcases it wouldn't be a bad thing if HRC was supplying the cases built to the usual strength and reliabilty that Honda are known for. Hey if Harleys can be proudly made with Jap parts why not Ducatis?

Cheers

Merv.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Get your bid in now...

Folks, if you live in California, you're out of luck. Like URL domain names, I've registered the following plates:

1. RC211V

2. DESMO 16 (Desmo Sedici)

3. YZR M1

Damn, I missed out on RS3 CUBE and MOTO GP. There's still Kawi and Suzuki available, (maybe, I haven't checked). When these bikes become available for us mere mortals, could it be that some rich folks will want to ante up for bragging rights? Maybe even American Honda (or Yamaha, Ducati)? Cha...ching!

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Re: Ducati MotoGP Bike Intro Feedback: V4's are the go, in-lines are so last year.

Actually my original theme was "The Death of V-Twins in Racing" But somehow I became the inline 4 guy. Whatever V-Twins in Racing are toast. Love VFRs. My next bike will be a VFR with ABS (Here in Seattle ABS would be good in the rain).

·
Registered
170 Posts

... and actually I don't really mind - I figure as long as you are on two wheels you are having fun. Even seeing the Harleys at our HOG rally last weekend and the Harleys on display at our museum I was happy to go see them. I probably like the V-Rod best because its got a 9,000rpm redline - getting more like the Jap bikes we love. Meantime at the price we pay for bikes in New Zealand I am totally satisfied with my '94 VFR which still looks and runs like new. I just wasn't too pleased to hear the new model went back to cam chains - the old ones with their gear drives sounding like sewing machines are fine by me. I look forward to hearing when you buy a VFR and tell us what you think of it.

Cheers

Merv.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why wait?

You don't have to.

If you want a Desmosedici, you can have a replica NOW. Visit www.qbcarbon.com and you can order replica body work for any 748/916/996/998 in carbon fiber or fiberglass.

Expensive, but it will certainly set your run of the mill Ducati out from the crowd!

·
Registered
70 Posts
MotoGP '03...sticky icky (that means it's gonna be chronic, er, good)

I hope I have good enough karma to be reborn as Yossef. At least then I wouldn't be so damn green with envy. Reading his words about the intro sent chills down MY spine. I shoulda majored in journalism. Funny how an article with gooey pics of the GP bike makes me skip right over the homologation special 999...If I can't have either then I might as well lust after the one that's waaaaaaaaaay out of reach.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.