Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
They wont win if they stay with the twin format. They also wont have a displacement advantage anymore. That’s the only reason why they have won so many races in the 750 classes. They are getting to get smoked in the GP’s. Oh by the way first post.

·
Registered
367 Posts
They don't stand a chance unless they get rid of those desmodromic valves. They're already behind the power curve (pun intended) in SBK.

·
Registered
130 Posts
>>The aim is to build a competitive and innovative prototype while at the same time maintaining the features that have made Ducati famous and successful throughout the world.

Damn, if that doesn't sound like the quote Harley used when entering the AMA superbike class.

I for one do not like that strategy in GP racing. This is all about class leading design by forward thinking. Please keep the marketing people out of the race design. Does it need desmo heads? Not if it doesn't make it go faster than other technology. Does it need a tubular frame? Not if you can't make it faster with some other design.

Please Ducati don't go down the road of tradition with your GP bike design. Start a new design family and JUST WIN. Let the tradition come from that success. BTW any bike as beautiful as a 916/996 will sell no matter what frame/heads it has, especially if it wins races.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quotes from an Anonymous Source

"A lotta people, they don't think we can win Formula Uno," said a source inside Ducati who preferred to remain anonymous. "They think that if anybody win Forumula Uno with a four-stroke, it gonna be the Giaponese. They forget it was us Italians who first sent a man to the sun. I bet you don't remember that. We went at night, when nobody was looking."

·
Registered
166 Posts
They're going to tank. Unfortunately.

I really like Ducati although I wouldn't buy one ('cept maybe a MHR900!) but I love the 'flair' they add to racing and motorcycling in general.

Without the displacement advantage, they will never make the horspower of the 4 and 5 cyl bikes and who knows what that pretty but archaic trellis frame will do on a GP bike.

How 'bout a V4 there Ducati?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Re: Quotes from an Anonymous Source

Excuse me, Mr. daBrick, but I need a moment here. While some people may find a few of your posts morally offensive and not in good taste, I for one found this particular comment uproarious. Perhaps we need to implement some prize for MO's favorite poster of the week/month/whatever.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes, perhaps......

I will concede the prize for this week to NickDaBrick for his best impression of a bottomless barrel of laughs over the last few days.

P.S. I am a mutt, so I am allowed to poke fun at everybody. HAA!! I KILL ME!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not so sure that they can't make a competitive twin of some sort. Recently there was an article about honda making a v-5 of sorts and I believe that it was to fire "like a twin"....meaning the front three cylinders fire at the same time, and the rear two fire at the same time. That was just what I remember seeing, and if you figure that Honda is rarely down on power, I'm sure ducati can make a similarly competitive twin if they wanted. Although, I will definitely agree that an inline four would probably be a lot easier to design.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Quotes from an Anonymous Source

Ok Nick... I was about to go off on you, but I tell Italian jokes for the same reason. :)

Don

·
Registered
367 Posts
Heck I think a V-4 would be the perfect compromise. A little more torque down low than in inline-4, and a little more horsepower up top than a V-twin.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.