Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: Embrace change

I visited my local BMW (car) dealer earlier today hoping to catch a glimpse of the facelifted '04 X5. In front of the store, a new 5 Series sedan was diagonally parked next to a Z4. Wow, the effect was striking. In a world of cookie-cutter cars, Chris Bangle's flame-edge design really characterizes and distinguishes BMW's new lines. While I still appreciate BMW's time honored styling (I was driving BMWs before the yuppies made it a cliché) the new designs make former models look dated. Getting back to motorcycles… Pierre Terblanche's work has also been widely criticized because it is different, but who could possibly succeed the great master Massimo Tamburini without stirring controversy. Personally, I find the tail on the MH900e to be an interesting design element. Then again, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Talk is cheap, I've already cast my vote with checkbook in hand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At a glance, the Sport and the PS appear identical except for the fairing and rear suspension ride height. Not sure about the 3rd.

These would be very easy to produce and get DOT / EPA / CA clearance. (May need to compromise a little on the exhaust system.) Look at how many minor variations of the same bike Guzzi's been releasing in the last few years.

To me all that says, "pre-production test mule." If these are "just one-off show bikes" why do they have license plate holders? I'd guess 80-90% chance we'll see these in the showroom.

Oh, and I'll buy at least one. You hear that, Ducati?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just traded a perfectly good 97 M900 for a 77 Guzzi LeMans because the Monster was a bit too manic for a day-to-day bike and way too short for any kind of decent two-up riding. I've always pined for a new retroGT with the AC Duc engine. And now they tempt me with these...

Is anyone in need of a kidney? If they do produce either the Sport or the GT, I'll gladly trade one of mine for one of them. But, please, please, please, either give the GT the Sport tank, or the Sport the GT exhaust, dual seat, and handlebars. At least as accessories...

Mike C

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll take the Sport! Change the color of the frame for a little more contrast (or I can do that) and price it around $12k and I'm in.

I'll have to get rid of more kiddy toys to make room for another bike in the garage.

Woohoo,

Don

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I was really beginning to wonder if Ducati had lost its Italian soul but the design gods are indeed alive and well. Those bikes are art. I would be humble-proud to call any one of those bikes my own.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My achin' back! My demanding passengers!

Right there with you, Mike. I'm showing my age (or something) but I gotta have the two-up seat, and the ultra-low bars on a city bike seem like a poor call.

And as much as I admire the Speed Triple and this new Sport 1000, in Seattle you need at least one bike with a fairing. It's cold and rainy all winter long. Never really snows, though, so you can ride all year.

Thus, I'm liking the Paul Smart machine, with higher bars and a duo seat. Retro and modern at the same time. It's all known technology, so Ducati has no excuse for reliability issues. Bring it on....but don't bring it in silver or matte black. Those colors are done.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow

OK, I've never really seriously considered owning a Ducati, althought I found the Multistrada interesting and like the ST4 ABS.

That's all changed now.

I'd vote with my wallet for the Sport. Fill out that survey, gents and maybe we'll get 'em over here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear MO, one of my favorite things to do, are to get to your web site, read about the new motorcycles on the horizon, and copy the great pictures of the Motorcycles you have on your page and paste them to my desktop and put them in Webshots to use as wallpaper. given that, i am very disappointed that i cant copy these pictures of these beautiful Ducatis. why did you guys disable the copying provision on these? this from an Aprilia and H-D rider.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You know, with this missive you're giving The Highwayman a pretty good run for his money...

Hey, that's a joke, son, I'm just kidding!

Seriously, there is some big money to be made in selling nostalgia.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Frame? and 4-valve

Is that a new frame or is it "recycled" from the current SS line?

I own a two-valve, air/oil-cooled Duc now, so I like that engine configuration, but I keep wondering when Ducati is going to develop an externally attractive version of the l-c, 4-valve engine and package it in a naked bike without all of the plumbing hanging out.

How about a 4-valve air/oil-cooled motor? How difficult/expensive would it be to develop a 4-valve head for the DS bottom end?

·
Registered
28 Posts
i've cast my vote(s) too

being an owner of a '96 900SP, a '99 748, an mcoupe (well it looks good to ME ;), an elise S190, etc... my checkbook is in a quick-draw holster. if there was a PS sitting at my local ducati dealer i'd be down there right now signing on the dotted line. but nothing in the showroom at the moment really compels me to act (if only the MV were a v-twin).

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
We didn't disable the copy feature, but the press photos that Ducati provided are pretty low resolution so they won't look that great when blown-up to desktop size.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.