Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Did I miss something????

Ace has summed up Ducati's position and predicament very well. As has been stated many times, the WSBK bikes are in a, and I quote Ducati, "a MotoGP state of tune," and they're still down about 20hp. This costs a fortune. Ducati is not a large company with bottomless pockets.

Remember that the twins are currently allowed all sorts of internal modifications that Duc is willing to give up in exchange for a displacement increase.

Plus, how much longer do you think twins under the current rules are going to be competitive at the current rate of development? Not much longer. Something has got to give eventually.

I don't want to see one manufacturer dominating the class like we had in the 90s any more than you do. But I also don't want to see Ducati go away or a rulebook that is strictly dictated by engine displacement.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: Just to set the record straight. Twins are ok.

You're completely missing the economic realities of running a race series or any entertainment venture for that matter.

The top manufacturers want to be in the premier classes. In fact, without them there are no race series at all. After all, racing is mostly a marketing and product development function.

How many motorcycle series do you think are economically sustainable? And why should displacement be the be-all, end-all?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Re: You are rewriting history.

The only discussion you seem to have is with yourself.

Who says that allowing an displacement increase for twins isn't fair? You? I understand that the I-4 factories don't want it, but that doesn't mean it's not fair. They have a vested interest. And a lot has changed since the days of the 1000cc twin vs. the 750 fours, most notably the development of the 1000cc I-4 bikes.

Instead of a 250cc increase, they'll be getting 200 this time around and they'll get no other additional mods. If someone can make a strong case why 200cc is too much, I'd be willing to listen. No one has yet. But if someone does, then maybe give them 150cc extra.

Do you really want to see Ducati leave WSBK? I don't. And there's no reason why we can't have different engine configs with different displacement limits. Bring on the triples, too. And the sixes if someone wants to build and sell one.

Someone has even built a 588cc bike with a circa- 1994 Norton rotary engine, all modern electronics and a new chassis. Word is they'll be racing it soon. Wouldn't you love to see that in WBSK if they get that far?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.